lmw
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

elixer 7 brakes wont stop squeeling

hey i recently purchased a bike with avid elixer 7's and i cant seem to get the brakes to stay quiet. I've put about 15 hours of riding on the bike so far so i think it's safe to say they are broken in. I have tried re-aligning the calipers many times but no matter what whenever i break they howl. any suggestions? I've never owned disc brakes before.

mtbr member
    Mostly, people will tell you to put some xt's on it. I say if the noise bothers you, try some different rotors first - that did more for my brakes making noise than anything else. There's also some notion that brake pad compounds make a difference. Try some organic pads.

mtbr member
    Pad Bed-in. You do this, you won't have a problem. From Avid...

"To achieve optimal braking results, you should bed-in the brake pad material. For safety, remain seated on the bike during the bed-in procedure. Accelerate the bike to a moderate speed, then firmly apply the brakes until you are at walking speed. Repeat approximately twenty times. Next, accelerate the bike to a faster speed. Then very firmly apply the brakes until you are at walking speed. Repeat approximately ten times. Do not lock up the wheels at any point during the bed-in procedure. Allow the brakes to cool prior to any additional riding."

To save these brakes, I'd clean the rotors with rubbing alcohol before and after scuffing them up with fine emery paper. Take the brake pads out of the caliper and clean/spray those with brake cleaner and let em dry.

after all this, proceed with pad bed-in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    find a good long hill. brake really hard a few times to get rid of any glazing and it should go away. If you consistently drag the brakes though, it'll probably come right back.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    They are AVID. They will squeal. I think it is related party to the brake and party the frame they are mounted on. I have used a number of Juicy, Elixir and XO brakes on a number of bikes and they always worked OK for me. My wife's rear Elixir on her Giant Trance 0 refuses to be quiet. Tried different rotors which helped and organic pads which helped a bit more but the noise will no go away. Plus the Avid bleed process is a *****. Particularly compared with Hope or Shimano.

mtbr member
    Make sure your pads are contacting the rotor at the same time. See if you have a piston sticking. And organic pads help.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I just gave up on my elixer 3's and put on XT's. All I can say is omg! These brakes are 10 times better than my elixer 3's and silence is awesome. And I think my elixer's were dragging or something because with the new brakes I was flying today.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by someoldfart View Post
    They are AVID. They will squeal.
    My BB7's are silent. I focused on bedding them really well. Gotta be some correlation there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAthirtythree View Post
    My BB7's are silent. I focused on bedding them really well. Gotta be some correlation there.
    You gotta post a picture of the bleed ports on your BB7's. I can't find mine!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    "bedding", as in properly wearing in the pads, not "bleeding"

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    You gotta post a picture of the bleed ports on your BB7's. I can't find mine!

Oh, they're right here.

Attachment 808678

Sorry, couldn't resist.