mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Elixer 5's, dumb move on my part

So I recently got a new bike that came with Elixer 5 brakes on it. The front pads have been rubbing the rotor since day 1, so finally after a couple of weeks I decided to try to adjust it. I googled it, and found that if you "unloosen the calipers and squeeze the brake a few times, then hold it and re-tighten the calipers" that it will adjust itself.

Of course you probably shouldn't do this when the bike is upside down! Dumb move on my part, as fluid came rushing out onto the ground. Now I am screwed cause I don't know how to bleed these properly and will most likely take it into the shop. I guess in my defense, my Hayes 9's never did this. I could adjust the calipers and brake pads without worry about fluid at all, even upside down

The one question I have is, you CAN adjust the brake pads/calipers correct? Just right side up and adjust the lever angle first? Anything else?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Are you saying the fuild leaked out of the brake,if just bring it to your lbs and have them send it back to sram

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AMCAT
    Are you saying the fuild leaked out of the brake,if just bring it to your lbs and have them send it back to sram
    I loosened the caliper bolts, jiggled it a little bit and the fluid came out. Is that not supposed to happen, even when upside down?

mtbr member
    Yeah, that's not normal. It's a sealed system so fluid shouldn't come out whether it's upside down, right side up or otherwise.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shwaa
    I loosened the caliper bolts, jiggled it a little bit and the fluid came out. Is that not supposed to happen, even when upside down?
    I bet you loosened the bleed port screw also.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ummm, it looks like my stupidity was worse than I thought. I didn't loosen the caliper bolts, I loosened the other 2 bolts, facing the opposite way. (one bolt is right under the "Elixer" logo). No wonder it leaked

God that was dumb, I deserve paying to get this fixed.

Nevermind

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pop_martian
    I bet you loosened the bleed port screw also.
    Pop is that the 2 screws I just mentioned in my last post? Probably is

b a n n e d
    Not to add insult to injury, but my Elixir 5s have rubbed since day 1. Not degree of repositioning has helped. Even tried new rotors. I hate these brakes and can't wait to dump them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7
    Not to add insult to injury, but my Elixir 5s have rubbed since day 1. Not degree of repositioning has helped. Even tried new rotors. I hate these brakes and can't wait to dump them.
    Yea I haven't heard too many good things about these brakes, but they came on the bike that I have only had a couple weeks. I would hate to shell out cash for new brakes, then again I am going to have to shell out cash to get the front one fixed anyway.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7
    If "new" equaled "true" when it came to rotors, there would be a lot more happy people in the world. My mechanic never puts new rotors on a bike without truing the rotors first (or so he tells me). Try having a competent mechanic check the rotors and true them.
    Will it work--maybe/maybe not, but it can't hurt can it?
    Barry
    Yeah well, that's just, ya' know, like, your opinion, man.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I googled it, and found that if you "unloosen the calipers and squeeze the brake a few times, then hold it and re-tighten the calipers" that it will adjust itself.
    With most brakes out on the market, aligning the caliper the way it's recommended is kind of flawed. You could never to get it to stop rubbing. Most of the brakes I've had that used the "loosen mounting bolts, squeeze lever" method have been the same, cannot eliminate rub, not even using the business card trick.
    You need to pull the pads out, reset the pistons, push them back into the bore, replace pads and align the caliper manually without using the lever, see if that works. Aligning the caliper while squeezing the lever usually favors one side of the piston, ie the rotor does not sit bang in the middle of the pads.
    I would definitely dump the Avids, I haven't heard many good things about them either, plus avids require and extensive bleed kit, syringes, fittings etc. I have had good luck with Hope brakes, the earlier systems which use shims to align the caliper, also the older gen XT brakes.
    Last edited by SV11; 03-17-2011 at 11:42 PM.

Master of Disaster
    No rub problems with my XT M775 brakes which are the "Servo-Wave" variety (an inversely progressive engagement ramp which provides greater pad clearance than other brakes).

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    Ditto... no problems with rub on my XT m775 or my Marta SL's.