Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30
  1. #1
    btx
    btx is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    138

    Elixer 5 to SLX swap -- help a chump

    I usually don't touch my brakes...too likely to hurt me if I mess it up, so I leave it to the pros. I have a Giant Anthem X 29er with Elixer 5's. Having gone thru several shops, I haven't been able to get a bleed that lasts more than five or six rides. Having read all the hate in here for Elixers, I'm thinking of just giving up and getting some SLX.

    The Anthem has rotors: [F] 185mm [R] 160mm. 185 is kind of a weird size, right? I'm assuming that means I need to replace it with a 180 rotor? Is it bad to replace only the front rotor?

    I'm looking at the M675 SLX brakes at blue sky.

    BlueSkyCycling.com - Shimano SLX M675 IceTech Disc Brake w/ Adapter

    What is the difference between 51/74mm compatible, I.S adapter and post adapter? What do I want?

    Lastly, is this a nightmare install, should I consider having someone install them?

    thanks for the advice.

  2. #2
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,446
    I believe you can use the Avid adapter up front with the SLX caliper. That's what I did on my wife's bike. That way, you should be able to use the 185mm rotor.
    In case I'm wrong and it doesn't work, go ahead and swap the rotor for a 180. It won't matter at all that you re used the rear one.
    I like turtles

  3. #3
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,446
    And you should be able to do this.
    I like turtles

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bigkat273's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    498

    Re: Elixer 5 to SLX swap -- help a chump

    Shimanos work with avid adaptors. Plug and play.
    Here is the thing about equality, everyone's equal when they're dead. - Gavroche, Les Misérables

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    45
    What a screamin' deal on the slx brakes! I just changed out my elixir 7's for xt. I read too much misinformation regarding cross compatibility, do i bought all new adapters and rotors. The ice tech rotors are definitely thicker than avid rotors. Easy install. They cone with spare olive and fitting to cut line shorter if needed. No need to bleed after cutting. Make sure it's clean and straight cut.

    Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

  6. #6
    btx
    btx is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    138
    So, at least on the one side they had three different options for adapters. Even if it doesn't matter, is there a better choice there between:
    51/74mm compatible, I.S adapter and post adapter

    I don't really know what any of those mean

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Joules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,312
    Quote Originally Posted by btx View Post
    So, at least on the one side they had three different options for adapters. Even if it doesn't matter, is there a better choice there between:
    51/74mm compatible, I.S adapter and post adapter

    I don't really know what any of those mean
    51mm and IS are the same thing, the older type of mount where the bolts are parallel to the axle.
    74mm and PM (post mount) are the same. This is more common on newer forks, where the bolts thread into the fork leg.

    Your fork determines which adapter you need.

    If you get a pre-bled setup with the Shimano brakes, install is easy with no real need for a shop to do it.
    Also, somone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the oddball 185 the result of the CPS washers spacing the caliper out on the adapter. Not sure if that's relevant or not (like could you use a shimano adapter/caliper with the CPS washers and a 185mm rotor).

  8. #8
    btx
    btx is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    Your fork determines which adapter you need.

    If you get a pre-bled setup with the Shimano brakes, install is easy with no real need for a shop to do it.
    Also, somone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the oddball 185 the result of the CPS washers spacing the caliper out on the adapter. Not sure if that's relevant or not (like could you use a shimano adapter/caliper with the CPS washers and a 185mm rotor).
    Unfortunately, the bike isn't with me at the moment to look at the adapter that came with it and the Elixers. The fork is a Fox F29 RL, so that means I should buy the "180mm Post mount front".

    Any recommendation on inexpensive rotors? My other option is to just buy new rotors (for an XC bike and what I've read, those ice techs look like overkill to me?) -- that way I could include the rotors when I craigslist the elixirs...also an option.

    Thanks for the help!

  9. #9
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,446
    You already have the correct adapter. Just put the Shimano caliper on the Avid adapter.
    I used Avid Clean Sweep rotors with the Shimano brakes. It works perfectly.
    I like turtles

  10. #10
    btx
    btx is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    138
    ...ordered! Thanks for the help!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: joel63's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    94
    I swapped out the Elixir 5 brakes for SLX on my Yeti before it left the bike shop. Tried it first with the Avid rotors, can't remember the part number but they were the wavy ones. Had the dreaded turkey warble noise from day one. Scuffed with grey scotch brite pad and cleaned the rotors, it went away for awhile but came back. Did that twice and decided they had to go. Swapped out for Shimano Ice Tec, no bad noises and drastic improvement in stopping power.

  12. #12
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,446
    Quote Originally Posted by joel63 View Post
    I swapped out the Elixir 5 brakes for SLX on my Yeti before it left the bike shop. Tried it first with the Avid rotors, can't remember the part number but they were the wavy ones. Had the dreaded turkey warble noise from day one. Scuffed with grey scotch brite pad and cleaned the rotors, it went away for awhile but came back. Did that twice and decided they had to go. Swapped out for Shimano Ice Tec, no bad noises and drastic improvement in stopping power.
    Wow, really? Good to know.
    I like turtles

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: joel63's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Wow, really? Good to know.
    Yep, granted, it wasn't horrible loud the first 25 miles or so and was intermittent,but got louder and more constant each ride.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    8
    Is the price on bluesky (brakes) for both front and rear or each?

  15. #15
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,446
    Each.

    I got a couple of sets from some Ebay seller in Hong Kong. 195 for front and rear with brackets and hardware. No rotors.
    I like turtles

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SlowMTBer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    169
    I swapped mine out from Elixer 5 to XT (same mounting as SLX) and with my 185mm rotors, the Avid adapter DID NOT WORK. Mine are the Post Mount. Some people have said that their Avid adapter worked, and that may be the case, but not if it was the same as mine. Once I obtained the correct bracket, it didn't clear the 185 rotor. I had to make shims to space the Caliper further away from the fork leg posts, to clear the extra 5mm of rotor diameter.

    Hopefully yours is one of the ones that work, but just make sure that when you put the adapter and caliper onto the post mount fork, everything fits together squarely. The Shimano should use bolts and flat washers, not the cupped washers used to adjust the positioning of the Avids.
    2011 Trek Rumblefish 1

  17. #17
    Dirt Junkie
    Reputation: Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    431
    I'm in almost in the same boat here. I'm changing from Elixer 5 to Shimano M596 for my 2013 Enduro. I'm having a hell of a time finding the rear shimano adapter for a 180mm p/p. The front 200 p/p is no problem. I have the Shimano rotor (180) and apparently my Avid Rotor is 180 now. Does anyone have a source for this adapter?
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

  18. #18
    rebmem rbtm
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,977
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock View Post
    I'm having a hell of a time finding the rear shimano adapter for a 180mm p/p. Does anyone have a source for this adapter?
    If you have 160mm post mounts on the rear then a 180mm front PM to PM adapter is what you'll need, it'll work on the rear the same way it works on a fork with 160mm post mounts.

    160mm post mounts = mounting a brake caliper directly on the post mounts when using a 160mm rotor.

    It shouldn't be too hard to find one of these adapters.

    If you look at the dimensions of 160mm front post mounts and 160mm rear post mounts you'll see that they are the same.

    http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/wp-con...10722-1_RA.pdf
    http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/wp-con...10722-9_RA.pdf

  19. #19
    Dirt Junkie
    Reputation: Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    431
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    If you have 160mm post mounts on the rear then a 180mm front PM to PM adapter is what you'll need, it'll work on the rear the same way it works on a fork with 160mm post mounts.

    160mm post mounts = mounting a brake caliper directly on the post mounts when using a 160mm rotor.

    It shouldn't be too hard to find one of these adapters.

    If you look at the dimensions of 160mm front post mounts and 160mm rear post mounts you'll see that they are the same.

    http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/wp-con...10722-1_RA.pdf
    http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/wp-con...10722-9_RA.pdf
    Cool. Great Info. I guess it makes sense since these are basically "spacers" with the direct post mounting method.

    Thanks.
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

  20. #20
    btx
    btx is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    138
    So, I got the kit, and I have run into some problems.

    1) The avid adapter feels nice and secure, but there is a bit of a gap because it doesn't sit exactly flush on the brake (image attached). Is this acceptable or a reason to switch to 180 in the front?

    2) The cable is actually a few inches shorter than the avid that was on it before. It feels kind of borderline (I suspect the old one is 1700 vs the 1400 this came with, didn't really consider this at order time). It might be hard to tell based on the image, but is this acceptable or is should I go hunt for a longer cable?

    3) I've had a hell of a time getting the calipers centered. In the past with the various Avid's I've had, I would loosen the bolts, strap the brake lever in and then tighten. This doesn't seem to work for the shimanos (I don't think my rotors are warped, if they are, I can't see it with my eyes and rub wasn't much of a problem on the elixirs -- still replacing the rotors is certainly an option here)...

    thanks!
    Elixer 5 to SLX swap -- help a chump-cable.jpgElixer 5 to SLX swap -- help a chump-front_brake.jpg

  21. #21
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,446
    Are you able to turn the wheel or is the caliper bottomed on the rotor? That certainly doesn't look right.
    I like turtles

  22. #22
    btx
    btx is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Are you able to turn the wheel or is the caliper bottomed on the rotor? That certainly doesn't look right.
    Yup, wheel turns. Lots of rub though -- it isn't spinning free.

  23. #23
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,446
    It isn't right for sure. That's a 185 rotor, right? Either space the caliper or try a 180.
    I like turtles

  24. #24
    btx
    btx is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    138
    Yup, it's a 185 with a 185 avid adapter. Do you have a suggestion as to what I should use as a spacer? I can't space it by much with the bolts it shipped with.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    35
    Have you tried rotating the adapter 180 degrees?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Elixer question
    By telemike in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-28-2013, 06:50 PM
  2. Upgrade Elixer 5 to SLX or XT
    By stygz1 in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-25-2012, 08:39 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-07-2012, 07:05 AM
  4. Elixer 5 Problem
    By D-Avid in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-28-2011, 12:11 PM
  5. Wheel Swap... Chain Swap Too?
    By coopdad in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-28-2011, 05:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •