mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Elixer 5 adjustment?

OK, this may seem ridiculous to some but how does the barrel adjustment turn to adjust the reach on my elixer 5 setup? My Hayes just needed a 2.5mm allen wrench.
    I'd like to move the lever away from the handle bar.
    I know there are detents to lock it but can't figure out how to turn the barrel.
    I was told by a friend that you have to slide the barrel and turn at the same time, can't seem to do it. I'm usually fairly good mechanically so this is humbling.
    Between the turkey warble and the lack of easy adjustment I'm considering putting my hayes mags on the new sled...

Thanks in advance
    Eric S

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    You need to stick something (like a small allen key) in the holes on the barrel and rotate it. You do have to slide the barrel in order to turn the barrel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks Tussery, I did try again and find that these adjusters are absolutely the worst!
    Still have not been able to do anything, I will be taking these in to my LBS for adjustment, let them scratch their heads for a while. I got one click out of the fronts and nothing out of the rears, something can not be right-I'm a decent mechanic.
    The rear barrel is starting to distort.
    Looks like a brake swap for me-back to the tried and true Hayes Mags...

Edit; Upon further inspection the reason the barrel wouldn't turn was because they were maxed out, I can't get the levers any further from the bars. They are now parallel to the bars, which is OK for now but come winter with thicker gloves-could be a problem.
    This seems wrong, anyone know of a way to move them out? A bleed perhaps-the brakes work fine with no sponginess.
    Last edited by joebreez; 09-28-2010 at 06:06 PM.
    Eric S