mtbr member

El Camino replacement question

My son has a Kona Howler/Bass with Hayes El Caminos in it. No matter what I've tried as far as bleeding, new pads, caliper adjustment, rotor truing, etc I can't get rid of the brutal squealing that comes from them. I can have everything set up just right on the work stand, no rubbing or squealing, and then he'll go for a ride and immediately the brakes start to squeal. Not just when he's riding, but even while he is pushing the bike, or even rocking it back and forth. He's only 100lbs, and doesn't abuse the bike.

I've talked to shop techs, and read the forums here, and it would seem that the El Caminos are just a poor excuse for a brake. It's funny, because I gather that they weren't a cheap brake when they were released, and this bike used to belong to a Kona team rider, so they must have had something going for them?

Anyway, he's looking at getting Juicy 5's, as some of his riding buddies are happy with them. Is it possible to keep his existing Hayes rotors (203mm front, 160mm rear) with the Juicys? I assume we'll need to adapter brackets, or are the Avid adapters interchangable with Hayes?

His budget is around $150 for a pair, so if anyone has any other suggestions I would welcome them.

Thanks

banned
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny LaRoux
    My son has a Kona Howler/Bass with Hayes El Caminos in it. No matter what I've tried as far as bleeding, new pads, caliper adjustment, rotor truing, etc I can't get rid of the brutal squealing that comes from them. I can have everything set up just right on the work stand, no rubbing or squealing, and then he'll go for a ride and immediately the brakes start to squeal. Not just when he's riding, but even while he is pushing the bike, or even rocking it back and forth. He's only 100lbs, and doesn't abuse the bike.

I've talked to shop techs, and read the forums here, and it would seem that the El Caminos are just a poor excuse for a brake. It's funny, because I gather that they weren't a cheap brake when they were released, and this bike used to belong to a Kona team rider, so they must have had something going for them?

Anyway, he's looking at getting Juicy 5's, as some of his riding buddies are happy with them. Is it possible to keep his existing Hayes rotors (203mm front, 160mm rear) with the Juicys? I assume we'll need to adapter brackets, or are the Avid adapters interchangable with Hayes?

His budget is around $150 for a pair, so if anyone has any other suggestions I would welcome them.

Thanks
    Heres some good news,I just recieved a set of el cam's from hayes c.s. and they work to perfection...give them a call and they'll take care of you....
    I you go new pick up the avid elexirs r,thats a great bake for the money.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 29ERCAT
    Heres some good news,I just recieved a set of el cam's from hayes c.s. and they work to perfection...give them a call and they'll take care of you....
    I you go new pick up the avid elexirs r,thats a great bake for the money.....
    Were they a warrenty replacement? If so, how old were the old Caminos?

banned
    Nov 2007
    Johny just give them a call,they go case by case...theres also a few mods that they can do on the el. cams to bring them up to spec.
    the guys at hayes are number one !!!!!