tcp
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Coolstop pads with Avid Mechs

I put a set of coolstop pads into my avid mechanicals yesterday and was just wondering about the fit. Everything seems to line up properly except the little metal clips in the back of the caliper don't "grip" the tabs that extend out from the pads, the 'H' spring pushes the pads onto the posts of the adjusters but my concern is when i'm travelling with the bike on my roof rack and don't have the rotor in between the pads. has anyone had a problem with aftermarket pads falling out of the rotor in transit? any thoughts on the performance of the coolstops in general would be appreciated as well. I got them here:

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1089224269853
    Last edited by tcp; 07-07-2004 at 12:48 PM. Reason: wrong brand

"El Whatever"

Please check....

The brand and model of pads you bought.

The ones you showed in the link are Koolstop. EBC reds are not equal and they do have some retention ears like the Avids.

As SpeedübNate told me about this... You're our Guinea Pig. If you don't report back by July 12th at 17:00 hrs., then we'll grant you are Missing In Action and the Koolstop pads do not work with Avid Mechanicals.

I also made a question on this forum about koolstops without retention clips and no concrete answer was received.

As far as dropping off the caliper when the wheel is out it will not happen. The Avid pistons have a little pin protuding that fits inside the pads square hole in the pad back-up plate. The spring keeps the pads stuck to the pistons so they should not come out.

Anyway, I hadn't been brave enough to try the stuff on the trail. You can now. We expect your answer.

I wrote to Koolstop but no answer either. I would call them but 'm in Mexico and the call should be more expensive than the pads themselves.

Good Luck and May God be with You.
    Check my Site

tcp
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

ooops, they are coolstop...

Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003
    The brand and model of pads you bought.

The ones you showed in the link are Koolstop. EBC reds are not equal and they do have some retention ears like the Avids.

As SpeedübNate told me about this... You're our Guinea Pig. If you don't report back by July 12th at 17:00 hrs., then we'll grant you are Missing In Action and the Koolstop pads do not work with Avid Mechanicals.

I also made a question on this forum about koolstops without retention clips and no concrete answer was received.

As far as dropping off the caliper when the wheel is out it will not happen. The Avid pistons have a little pin protuding that fits inside the pads square hole in the pad back-up plate. The spring keeps the pads stuck to the pistons so they should not come out.

Anyway, I hadn't been brave enough to try the stuff on the trail. You can now. We expect your answer.

I wrote to Koolstop but no answer either. I would call them but 'm in Mexico and the call should be more expensive than the pads themselves.

Good Luck and May God be with You.
    yup, coolstop (reds?). I'm more than willing to test them and as long as i don't drop them on the way to the trails. The little pins prodrude into the pads themselves, i just wasn't sure if the h-spring would be strong enough to hold them in place without the rotor in between them given a good bump. maybe the clips are just a holdover to the first year (i have a set of those still going strong) when they had magnets and no h-spring. 24hours of adrenaline in canmore on the 17th should give them the proper testing...
    more info then.