Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: EBC Pad Users?

b a n n e d

EBC Pad Users?

Question: I know that EBC's come in Green, Red and Gold compounds. I ordered a set of Red's, front and rear, for my Hope's. The packaging denotes "R" after the model number, suggesting the Red compound. Oddly, however, on the set for the rear, there is a distinct green dot painted on the top edge of both pads. This is not an accidental paint glob; it's there intentionally. If this were any other color than green, I wouldn't care . . . however, I'm wondering if this green dot signifies the Green compound that accidentally ended up in the wrong package? There is NO such dot of any color on the pads for the front.

Anyone else running EBC's mind taking a quick peek at their pads to see if there's a dot on the top edge?

I've got an email in with EBC, but haven't heard back yet.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    EBC X2 Pads: Red, Green & Gold

EBC V2 Pads: Red, Green & Gold

EBC Mono Mini Pads: Red, Green & Gold

b a n n e d
    Yup . . . . the wrong pads are definitely in the wrong package.

Dammit. Now I don't have anything to run . . . .

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    My x2 reds both have an R in the model number and a red dot painted on the top edge of each pad.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Must be a mistake. My red pads for the X2 were noisy as can be and didn't start with much material. They are probably 30% shorter than the original organic X2 pads. I read all the hype on here and was disappointed. I had good luck with the green pads on my BB7's. I like organic pads. I just ordered a pair of green. I hope they are not as thin as the reds.

ouch....
    I tried the reds on my hope x2, they didn't last very long at all. Under 1000 miles iirc.
    Riding.....

b a n n e d
    Well . . . I contacted EBC and they said that its definitely a mistake and they will send me a replacement set, gratis. Okay, great . . . get the new pads in the mail, and they sent the EXACT SAME pads, with the SAME green dot on top. These are clearly the GREEN compound pads. Screw it . . . I'm running them anyway. We'll see how they fare.

mtbr member

Might not want to mix pads on the rotor

Funky they sent the same.. kind of a different experience, but with the EBC pads I've tried (gold), they didn't work out so well with my Formulas. To be fair though, I was told they're not compatible w/ all rotors and I didnt start with a new rotor, just cleaned it with alcohol, so I'm not sure if some of the old pad compound could've mixed.. Basically the EBC gold pads completely filled the caliper w/ black soot, and coated the rotor black. I've tried to go back to stock pads but after many tries, I had to replace the contaminated rotor.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhill View Post
    Funky they sent the same.. kind of a different experience, but with the EBC pads I've tried (gold), they didn't work out so well with my Formulas. To be fair though, I was told they're not compatible w/ all rotors and I didnt start with a new rotor, just cleaned it with alcohol, so I'm not sure if some of the old pad compound could've mixed.. Basically the EBC gold pads completely filled the caliper w/ black soot, and coated the rotor black. I've tried to go back to stock pads but after many tries, I had to replace the contaminated rotor.
    Any time you change pad compound the rotor should be cleaned with 800grit emery paper and LOTS of water to thoroughly remove the old compound. Solvents can not do the job.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Quote Originally Posted by TTTURNER View Post
    Must be a mistake. My red pads for the X2 were noisy as can be and didn't start with much material. They are probably 30% shorter than the original organic X2 pads. I read all the hype on here and was disappointed. I had good luck with the green pads on my BB7's. I like organic pads. I just ordered a pair of green. I hope they are not as thin as the reds.
    I hate organic pads. Use nothing but EBC Golds in my BB7s.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Any time you change pad compound the rotor should be cleaned with 800grit emery paper and LOTS of water to thoroughly remove the old compound. Solvents can not do the job.
    And I probably ruined the rotor pinching it w/ fine sandpaper.. Should probably take the rotor off and use a flat block. Will have to find some time to prep another. One thing I do remember on the golds, great one finger bite and modulation feel was better than the formulas.. Sounded good too until the contamination kicked out all the power

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    I hate organic pads. Use nothing but EBC Golds in my BB7s.
    You told me the same thing on another thread a few months ago. My dusty desert climate makes sintered pads scream. I would ride them out of necessity if I lived in a wet climate.

EBC Pad Users?

Quote Originally Posted by TTTURNER View Post
    You told me the same thing on another thread a few months ago. My dusty desert climate makes sintered pads scream. I would ride them out of necessity if I lived in a wet climate.
    I use them in all conditions. Wet and muddy to desert moon dust. Silent 99.9% of the time.
    mtbtires.com

b a n n e d
    I run sintered pads in SoCal, the land of infinite MOON DUST, and have for a couple years . . . silent as can be (unless they get wet!)

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I live in one of the hottest places on the planet in the Coachella Valley. We haven't even had measurable rainfall this year. Very few guys run sintered pads here because of the extra noise.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Dry socal is where I ride. Organic pads are always noisy for me.

After switching to sintered, they are almost always silent.

Except for the awesome noise a disc brake makes when bombing down at 30 mph and slowing down for a 90 degree turn.

b a n n e d
    2 out of 3 SoCal Users can't be wrong!

I keed . . . it's curious though . . . I wonder what the differences are? I run a Hope M4/X2 combo with 183mm rotors F/R. Historically ran Brake Authority Aggressive pads with great success and now on EBC whatever-the-hell-they-sent-me. Both sets have been silent.

human dehumidifier
    I've got a spare set for BB-7 and noticed that mine have the part number for green pads (no suffix), no paint on the backing plate, and the plate itself is gold not gray like in the photos I've seen of the packaging for green pads. Maybe they have a rogue worker in the plant.
    I Just Wasn't Made For These Times

mtbr member
    Just pulled mine out the parts bin, fuggin have a green dot : ( .. were supposed to be gold)

b a n n e d
    Sounds like EBC has some quality control issues to work out . . .

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Just pulled mine out the parts bin, fuggin have a green dot : ( .. were supposed to be gold)
    Did they have copper colored backing plates or grey/black colored backing plates ?

EBC Pad Users?

Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    Did they have copper colored backing plates or grey/black colored backing plates ?
    Wondering the same. Have been using Golds for 10 years and never had a packaging/labeling issue, including the 6-8 pair I bought in the last year. All with the "gold" backing plate. The pad material all looks the same.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member

copper

Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    Copper backed, I'm pretty sure, I threw them away so can't check to make sure. But I remember torching them as a last resort and they turn colors like the avids

EBC Pad Users?

Copper backed, I'm pretty sure, I threw them away so can't check to make sure. But I remember torching them as a last resort and they turn colors like the avids
    I have never torched a pad. Sanded a few (not EBC Gold). Rarely cleaned a rotor, either.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member

Haven't needed to surface/clean a rotor before this

Have a new formula rotor here (and pads), going to wait and do a fresh try with the Gold pads once they show up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast