Still chuggin' along

EBC Green Pad on Hayes

I just got some EBC pads to replace my hayes pads and when I go to put them in, they are so thick that the rotor won't spin freely. I've read that I'll need to push back the pistons but I don't even see them. All I see are the center posts. What should I do?

Also, the clips that came with the EBC pads were so loose that the pads would flop around in the caliper. No big deal since I just switched them with the hayes clips but i was wondering if that was typical.

Cheers,
    Kristina

Gentleman Loser
    Quote Originally Posted by kpicha
    I just got some EBC pads to replace my hayes pads and when I go to put them in, they are so thick that the rotor won't spin freely. I've read that I'll need to push back the pistons but I don't even see them. All I see are the center posts. What should I do?

Also, the clips that came with the EBC pads were so loose that the pads would flop around in the caliper. No big deal since I just switched them with the hayes clips but i was wondering if that was typical.

Cheers,
    Kristina
    Hi Kristina,

First, remove the pads, then insert a small box wrench into the now empty space between the pistons.

For each side, making sure that you are not pressing on the center post, lever the wrench against the brake piston and the opposite side caliper body.

The center post that you see is at the dead center of the brake piston.

In my experience, the EBC post clips plain suck. It's definitely best to reuse the Hayes springs.

Tommy

Still chuggin' along
    Okay, I can follow along in my mind's eye what you're talking about but as far as the pistons go, are they something like the center posts that stick out or are they more like washers that surround the center post. The pictures that I've been looking at in the Hayes manual aren't helping much.

well, anyway, I figure that if I go ahead and use the box wrench, I'll feel what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the tips.

P.S. Doing any night riding tonight? Seems that there might be a group going.

Gentleman Loser
    Quote Originally Posted by kpicha
    P.S. Doing any night riding tonight? Seems that there might be a group going.
    Hmm, have you been out to Wake/Tink lately? I was just thinking that it might be clear enough to ride.

I'll charge my battery up... Maybe I'll see you out there!

Still chuggin' along
    Yep, was just there this morning. Good riding, too. I posted in the Va/MD/DC forum.

I'll have to play it by ear and see how I'm feeling by this evening. I had a stomach flu or food poisoning yesterday so I only lasted about an hour today and that was at a sllllllooowwwww pace.
    If I don't see ya', have fun!