mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Ebay Bikefridge Avid Code pad quality?

Hi, the prices on these OEM pads are awesome. Anyone have experiece with running their pads? I did a search, and there wasn't much feedback on this forum.

Thanks for any input.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pair-of-Avid-Cod...QQcmdZViewItem

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I got some XT pads from that guy. They are working quite well. Don't know about longevity though. They were so cheap though I could buy like 4 pairs for the same price as 1 pair elsewhere.

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    i picked up some of those pads for my Formulas.. running a set on the front right now, without issues so far.
    I ride a lot of DH, so I burn through pads quickly, we'll see how these stand the test of time.

mtbr member
    These pads are fantastic, I bought four pairs for my avid J5's and not only do they stop better but my brkes are now silent.
    I bought the medium compound and I am still on the first pair after a year of off road only use. So I am very pleased.

You can also get them from DiscoBrakes.com and the pads are made by Original Brake Engineering. If you don't like the ebay route.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Thanks everyone, this was the kind of feedback I was hoping for. Hopefully a few more with long term use have some input as well. It sounds like the work well, just want to get a little more back up.

mtbr member
    I also purchased pads from bikefridge (medium ceramic); they are far better than the stock resin pads that came with my Shimano mechs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I bought a set of these and unfortunately I didnt have a good experience. My original pads (shimano I believe) lasted for a good 500+miles, however I put these on a few weeks ago and done a training run over the north penines as I just completed the C2C on the weekend. These pads wore out in 40miles (in the wet i must add, youve probably seen on the news the floods up here in the good old north east), I emailed bike fridge and they basically said it was down to me setting them up incorrectly. Now I would have believed this if i hadnt put my old pads back on, which had about 1mm if wear left on them, and the done 140 miles of the C2C on them and they still havent given up yet.
    Just my personal experience with them.
    should also say i run deore hydraulics, not avids but im guessing that they are a similar material, just a different shape?
    Last edited by e1370; 09-18-2008 at 04:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by e1370
    I bought a set of these and unfortunately I didnt have a good experience. My original pads (shimano I believe) lasted for a good 500+miles, however I put these on a few weeks ago and done a training run over the north penines as I just completed the C2C on the weekend. These pads wore out in 40miles (in the wet i must add, youve probably seen on the news the floods up here in the good old north east), I emailed bike fridge and they basically said it was down to me setting them up incorrectly. Now I would have believed this if i hadnt put my old pads back on, which had about 1mm if wear left on them, and the done 140 miles of the C2C on them and they still havent given up yet.
    Just my personal experience with them.
    should also say i run deore hydraulics, not avids but im guessing that they are a similar material, just a different shape?
    which compound did you order?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i ordered the compound 's' medium density ones

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    Anyone else with experience with these pads or the Ebay Seller BikeFridge?

TIA.
    Maverick Durance Ano-DUC32/C KING/XTR
    Mav ML8 Ano-DUC32/X0
    Mav ML8-DUC32/I9/XTR
    09 Spec. Demo-Totem-Ti DHX
    Norco Team DH

Slick Rick
    The guy has like a billion positive feedback on ebay, that should say something.

I bought some shimano replacement pads from him and I'm happy

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    Yeah, I took that into consideration also.

I ended up purchasing a few pairs from him. The black pads and some sintered ones to test out also. Hopefully all work well.

Thanks stefanb.
    Mav ML8 Ano-DUC32/X0
    Mav ML8-DUC32/I9/XTR
    Norco Team DH

mtbr member
    I got some of the softest compound pads for my Mugura Gustav's.

Magura Gustav Professional Grade Black Ceramic Compound. (part no OBE-DM03CG).

I bought these as i had to wait for official Magura pads to come in the post.
    Compared to the OEM pad I would rate them about 8/10.
    They do a good job in all conditions and last a long time considering that they are a FAST WEARING pad.
    However they lack the bite of the OEM pads, both 1.1 and 1.2 types. Also a result of the fast wearing property is that if you drag them hard for any time on any alpine type or mountain type descent they will stink like your breaks have been set on fire.

Apart from that they have always STOPPED ME ON A DIME !!!!!

as for the dude who did 40 miles....
    musta been draggin crap through his rotors for 40 miles....
    even on black ceramic pads.
    or changed his rotors for angle grinder disc's

mtbr member
    Hey e1370, I wonder if you are using one of those superlight rotors which might have killed your pads. EBC has a warning on their website regarding these types of rotors:

"THERE IS NO WARRANTY USING EBC PADS ON THESE DESIGNS OF DISCS DUE TO EXTREMELY LOW BRAKING AREA AND FAST PAD WEAR THAT HAS BEEN REPORTED USING RESIN PADS SUCH AS EBC RED & GREEN AND OTHERS."

mtbr member
    Good to know that alot of you have had great result with these...I am about to order a set from this guy...

mtbr member
    Can't comment on their performance yet, but will give kudos to their CS department. I had needed to deal with them concerning my order and the service they gave me was very good.

Sorry I didn't run across this thread when it originated, but it's never too late to warn other late comers.

DO NOT buy pads from that guy. He delivers the goods, just as he should, but the pads are the WORST. My experience is that they fade like crazy. After two rides, I took them off. Now I have two used pair, and two new pair sitting in the parts cabinet.

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    What kind of pads did u get? My metallic pads have lasted a few hundred miles and are still going strong.
    Mav ML8 Ano-DUC32/X0
    Mav ML8-DUC32/I9/XTR
    Norco Team DH

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have used the black Pro DH pads and the med S pad on my Magura Martas

The DH pads were OK. I did 3 rides on them with long downhills. They stopped well, but seemed to make noise hard breaking. Normal breaking, they were as quiet as them OEM pads. The noise may have been setup, but the OEM Magura 5.2 did not make the noise with the same set up. Although, I did not clean the rotor I also tend to drag my rear a bit and it heats them up. When they get hot, they smell bad for the rider behind you. Not bad for $10

The med S compound was good gripping and feel. I did 4 rides with them. They were a little louder than the OEM pads, but not unacceptable. They kind of had a low squeek to them. I never had any brake fade with them. On the same hills, the OEM pads would get some fade. Good value for $5

I am currently trying EBC gold pad. Good power, no fading yet.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    see my post about using them with gustav's

mtbr member
    Oct 2003
    here's my $0.02... Keep in mind I purchased their 3x red ceramic pads...

This is a late reply, but I just purchased on Ebay a large lot of discobrake (or OBE) ceramic 3x RED brake pads (4 pairs for my Magura Marta's and 4 pairs for my Hope Tech M4's). I have used them for ~1/2 dozen rides so far, in mostly dry conditions on XC trails, and so far they are holding up great.

For my Hope Tech M4's, they replaced the stock, presumably sintered (or organic?) pads. What I've noticed right off the bat is that the ceramic pads give a much softer feel, less initial on/off bite, and much much easier to modulate. So far, I really like them, and if they are easier on the rotor and last 3x as long, that'll be even better. Only thing I've noticed when installing them is that the pad material is softer, so be careful when using things like a screwdriver to push the caliper rotors back in with the pads in place--you can take out small chunks of pad material.

For the Magura's, they replaced some Kool Stop Red pads, sintered compound. Same feeling as above with the Hope's--less initial bite, much easier to modulate.

Keep in mind that the 'softer feel' fits their description of the pad compounds exactly. Overall stopping power appears the same. I will definitely be buying more when the time comes, and may even try a different compound or two...

in 1/2 dozen rides, I've done probably just under 100 miles (my usual rides are 15 to 20 miles per), and have not experienced any significant fade or wear.

xx = xtrČ
    these pads are fantastic, when i was running my bb7, the short lasting compound outlasted the factory compond... I was having more power and it was more silent, im about to buy 4 pairs for my elixirs.