mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Easiest braking system to install and maintain for the novice?

Hi,

My stumpy '07's brakes seem to be reaching end of life and i am considering to replace them. Of all maintenance procedures of the bike, no doubt that I have the least knowledge of maintaining the brakes. I was wondering if folks can suggest me a replacement braking system suitable for my bike which can be easy to self-install and self-maintain.

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    latest shimano

mtbr member
    Shimano.

New Magura MT series looks to be simple and easy to maintain.

Hope? Mine have been great, but the install can be a little finicky and time consuming. However, once that is done, they are set and forget.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Magura

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Shimano bar none....

once you learn how to fix a sticky piston....wash the bike every now and then.....clean the pistons...you are done.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyBuzz View Post
    My stumpy '07's brakes seem to be reaching end of life and i am considering to replace them.
    Curious about the "end of life" part. You aren't replacing your entire brakeset over something like worn pads, are you?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    Curious about the "end of life" part. You aren't replacing your entire brakeset over something like worn pads, are you?
    No, replacing brake pads is the only procedure i have done on my own. The reason i'm thinking of replacing them is that recently there were several occasions i had to visit the LBS
    and have them repaired, and the mechanic told me they might be starting to get old. The most annoying problem is that the pads keep rubbing against the pads. The mechanic tried just about everything, including bleeding and replacing the rotors, and i've just about had it with spending all that money for nothin'.

@trailgrinder
    Yeah I would also want to hear what the end life is? Bad hoses, stuck pistons, cracked master? For me the shimano brakes are nice and easy to bleed, maintain and especially shorten the cables bleed free.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyBuzz View Post
    The most annoying problem is that the pads keep rubbing against the pads. The mechanic tried just about everything, including bleeding and replacing the rotors, and i've just about had it with spending all that money for nothin'.
    Ah, well. I will say that I recently bought a pair of Shimano SLX brakes along with IceTech rotors, and they have been nothing short of a revelation. Dead-easy install. Plenty of rotor-to-pad gap. Excellent performance. I couldn't be happier.