mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Early 90's Frame- V' Brake compatible?

I'm getting parts together to build a 92 Fat Chance with same vintage Rock Shox and was wondering if I can put V' brakes on or if I'm stuck with Canti's. Brake posts look compatible but are ther clearance or other issues?

Village Idiot
    Jan 2004

Sure

V-brakes are cantilevers technically (atleast in my book) and likewise bolt up to the same type of brake bosses. Depending on what type of cable stops the frame has, you may have to get a Problem Solver bolt on cable stop for the back or run full-length housing, or neither. One way or another it will work.
    -Ryan
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo
    I'm getting parts together to build a 92 Fat Chance with same vintage Rock Shox and was wondering if I can put V' brakes on or if I'm stuck with Canti's. Brake posts look compatible but are ther clearance or other issues?

mtbr member

one thing, though

Once you get the brakes installed, you might want to make sure that they aren't too strong for the frame and fork. If you can see huge flex, think about getting a brake booster or two. I had major flex on a cannondale went I went from cantis to v-brakes. One more thing, why not put some cantis on that bike? Find some cool vintage ones on ebay or somethin. Your using a vintage shock, and cantis don't suck too bad. Maybe some of those Grafton canti's that were so bada$$ or those cool machined onza ones? -t

mtbr member

one thing, though

Once you get the brakes installed, you might want to make sure that they aren't too strong for the frame and fork. If you can see huge flex, think about getting a brake booster or two. I had major flex on a cannondale went I went from cantis to v-brakes. One more thing, why not put some cantis on that bike? Find some cool vintage ones on ebay or somethin. Your using a vintage shock, and cantis don't suck too bad. Maybe some of those Grafton canti's that were so bada$$ or those cool machined onza ones? -t

mtbr member

one thing, though