offroader
    Dec 2008

DYI Professional Bleed Kit

I'm making a DYI Bleed kit with the remnants of my old Avid Bleed kit from several years back. Basically the old kit has leaks and the tubes have turned white. I'm also in need of a second bleed kit for my Shimano brakes which use mineral oil. I was looking to put together a nice professional bleed kit on the cheap after seeing what Avid had to offer with thier $80 professional bleed kit I decided I could do better for cheaper.

Thus far I've picked up these syringes. They arrived today and I have to say they are much better than I had expected. The Luer lock fitting fits nicely with the Avid Bleed kit. They seem to be well made and even came with a spare O-Ring. I've looked into getting a hose at the local PetSmart. Looks like a line of tubing is about $4 (3/16")

Syringes:
    Jorvet 20cc Nylon Syringe with O-Ring Card - Mills Fleet Farm

Tubing:
    Top FinŽ Airline Tubing - Air Pumps & Accessories - Fish - PetSmart

I also found some luer fittings (3/16"):
    Value Plastics FTLL007-2 Female Luer Thread Style to 500 Series Barb, 3/32" (2.4 mm) ID Tubing, Black Nylon (25-Pack): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

And maybe pick up 2 of these hayes fittings as well:
    Hayes Prime Bleed Fitting Kit | eBay

So all in total:
    $20 for 2 syringes
    $4 tube
    $9 (25 pack) Luer lock barbs
    $8 for fittings

Total: $41 for a solid long lasting bleed kit.

PS: I haven't bought all the parts yet so if anyone sees a problem with the setup please let me know. Thanks.

Off the saddle
    Or you can get a nice bleed kit from Bleedbicycles. I don't see anything wrong with a DIY kit but sometimes it's just easier (and cheaper) to buy a pre-made kit. Their kits are nice and free shipping.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Bleedbicycles looks nice if you don't mind cheepo parts I wanted high quality parts since I do everything myself. Also the syringes with the O-rings are much smoother and easier to work with.

Off the saddle
    I thought about a DIY kit since it's really just tubes, fittings, and syringes but figured since I only bleed my brakes once a year an off the shelf "kit" would suffice. I guess if you're a volume user a good solid kit like yours would be better. I have the Bleedbicycles Shimano kit and it bled the M988's just fine.
    Let us know how it turns out.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Anyone have fitting specification are for the screw that attaches to the bleed hole? What's the size of the bleed screw?

Edit: Got it. 8mm (5/16) screw to 3/16" barb.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CupOfJava View Post
    So all in total:
    $20 for 2 syringes
    $4 tube
    $9 (25 pack) Luer lock barbs
    $8 for fittings

Total: $41 for a solid long lasting bleed kit.

PS: I haven't bought all the parts yet so if anyone sees a problem with the setup please let me know. Thanks.

Well, I saved about $18 by picking up my syringes for $1 each from my local drug store.

Otherwise, looks spot on.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Cool. Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    CupofJava: How did it turn out?

mtbr member
    Very nice kit u got going. The setup I just made was cheaper, but syringes aren't quality, "one time use" 35cc ones. They work pretty well but doubt they'll last more than a couple bleeds, already broke 1. Thnx for the post I can refer back to get better syringes and locate fittings as my ghetto set up at the levers was effective but still had clean up to do cause didn't seal well.

Sent from my Nokia Stupidphone using Tapatalk
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by CupOfJava View Post
    Bleedbicycles looks nice if you don't mind cheepo parts I wanted high quality parts since I do everything myself. Also the syringes with the O-rings are much smoother and easier to work with.
    I'm guessing you don't have all the facts regarding Bleedbicycles bleed kits, cause I have the BleedBicycles Professional Disc Brake Bleed Kit and it DOES have silicone "O" rings. Been using it for several years on both Dot 5.1 and mineral oil. Clean it after each use and I have yet to replace the silicone "O" rings. It comes with an extra pair.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have the non-professional BleedBicycle kit for Shimano and it came with non o-ring syringes. They are rather hard to compress and , really, my bigger beef is that there is a hose between the syringe and the brake lever reservoir. Unless I'm doing it wrong this requires you to have two people because the syringe won't stand up on its own and falls over kinking the hose and making it difficult or impossible to bleed.

I ordered some of those o-ring syringes from China and there's also a kit similar to the BB kit. What I really want to find is the proper fitting for the lever reservoir which is a female luer to M5x4.7. If anyone has a line on that, I'd appreciate it.

Here are the eBay links for the parts I'm collecting:

Shimano Professional Bleed Kit XTR Saint XT Zee SLX Deore M988 M820 M785 Brake | eBay

20ml Syringe Luer Lock Tip Reusable ZK1425 | eBay

I bought all the Shimano funnels and parts, the BleedBicycle kit, and I still have a hard time bleeding this by myself w/o some contraption of zip ties and structures to zip tie the syringes to such as is seen in that popular YouTube video. So, I've probably got over 60 bucks in just trying to get a decent one-man kit. Or maybe I'm an idiot.

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by glano View Post
    I bought all the Shimano funnels and parts, the BleedBicycle kit, and I still have a hard time bleeding this by myself w/o some contraption of zip ties and structures to zip tie the syringes to such as is seen in that popular YouTube video. So, I've probably got over 60 bucks in just trying to get a decent one-man kit. Or maybe I'm an idiot.
    Bleeding the Shimano's is really easy as a one-man operation. Don't get too confused about all the 'equipment' provided. Some folks prefer to use all that's given them. Meaning both syringes. In reality, I only use one on the Shimano's. With the exception if I use a small syringe or funnel for the 'reservoir' syringe. You really only need two for the Avid's.

If doing a bottom up, I use the syringe with the hose on the caliper. I take a 5cc or 10cc syringe or a Shimano funnel if you have one, and place into the master cylinder bleed port. Most conventional (smaller) injection syringes will force thread into the bleed port. Remove the plunger and use it as a reservoir. Perhaps easier if using funnel. Either way, it's really pretty simple.

With caliper syringe (with fresh fluid) attached to caliper, crack bleed nipple (about quarter turn or less) and begin to force fluid upward into system. I usually thump and tap the brake lines and tap caliper and master cylinder as I do this to free trapped air bubbles and allow them to rise upwards towards the master cylinder. If you have a significant amount of air in the system, you will see it entering the upper syringe or funnel as it begins to fill with fluid.

Continue until no more bubbles are present and finish up by closing caliper bleed nipple and removing 'reservoir' syringe and cleanup. Easy one-man bleed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Hey, how do you like the ebay kit? I am thinking about buying their Formula bleed kit.
    Formula Professional Bleed Kit RX Ro T1 C1 R1 Racing K18 K24 Oro The One Brake | eBay
    How long did it take to get in the mail?

Magically Delicious
    It looks like a pretty good kit. And, the price is right.