mtbr member
    Jul 2004

New question here. Dumping Avids for Hayes - any thoughts?

Ok, I have had it after 5 years with my Avid Juicy Ultimate’s on my Ellsworth Truth.
    I think it is time for a set of Hayes Strokers. I am happy with the power of the Ultimates, which are about 5 years old, but can’t handle the vibration issues. I have spent so much time and money on pads, rotors, setting up and tweaking the brakes, etc. trying to tame the vibration. To rebuild or bleed the Avids that is no big deal. It is the vibration. (To me the Avids are the Alfas of the bike world. Nice when they work but a lot of shop time for stuff that you wouldn’t think would have been sorted out at manufacture.) I don’t want to do this anymore. I want to ride single track in the Northwest. I will say, it has forced me to use my front brake a lot. No vibration and squeal there. The back - My God. Mother of Pearl.

My choice of the Strokers is for the following reasons:

Parts availability
    Large community of users so lots of information available.
    Cost.
    Had it with Avid/Sram

My concerns of the Strokers are:

Seems like an overly complicated bleeding procedure compared to Avids
    No pad contact adjustment like Avids. (How do you compensate for this?)

Now the only reason I want to change is the heavy vibration from the back brake. I no longer want to deal with it. Anyone using Strokers on a Truth? It is interesting my wife’s Truth went three years before developing the vibration problem. Then here it is. Need an alternative to the Avids. I want to Ride not work on a problem. Al

TNC
    noMAD man
    I'm curious about you comment that Hayes bleeding is overly complicated. I'm of the opinion that Hayes is one of the easiest brakes to bleed with Avids being the most complicated. That said, I wouldn't trade my Avid Elixirs for anything. That vibration deal is fixable IMO. Regardless, I think Hayes are fine brakes. They are reliable and easy to live with. I just don't think they have the power of Elixirs until you get to the Stroker Ace.

I should be studying...
    Before you toss the avids, have you contacted Ellsworth about the issue? It sounds like you've tried just about everything and your wife's bike has the same issue; maybe there is a knowledge base about this. I wouldn't concern yourself with the ease of bleeding as this is something you hopefully won't do very often and none the bleeding procedures I've done/seen are that difficult.
    Formerly known as iceaxe

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have 3 bikes with Avid disc brakes, (BB5,BB7, & Juicy 7) none have noise or vibration and all see alot of abuse in all weather, all are using stock pads. I"m not sure the brakes are the problem.

My friend has Hayes Strokers on his Rize4 and they feel pretty weak compared to my Juicy's. I let him take my bike out on the trail and the first thing he said when he got back was how bad he wanted to get rid of his Hayes for some J7's.

I'd look at Hope or Formula before going to Hayes if it were me.
    '10 Pivot Cycles Mach 5! -- 07' C'dale Prophet 3 -- 08' C'dale Caffeine HT /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ Pivot FTW