mtbr member

Dumb brake question but I am a newb who needs help

So, here is the deal. I have a Trek 4300 with your basic alloy v-brake, not even a brand name I guess. I am also restoring/building up and OLD Peugot MTB as a rigid single speed. I have never been terribly happy with the brakes on the Trek. They work OK on the street, but on steep descents I found myself wanting just a little more grab. The peugot had some old catilevers, which I am betting I won't like when I get it back together. So, I was going to go to V-s on it as well. I don't have a bunch to spend, maybe $50 as I have already spent too much on this old thing.

So, here are my thoughts.
    A. Replace the brakes on the Trek with something better, move Trek brakes to Peugot.

B. Leave Trek alone, just get some cheap for the Peugot. I have seen some OEM pull-offs on ebay for next to nothing.

C. Get nice brakes on the Puegot, try maybe better pads on the Trek.

D. Look for used?

E. Stick the cants back on the Puegot and just ride it and leave everything alone.

F. Stick foot on back tire and hope for the best. (hey, that is what I did as a kid on my wal-mart bike!)

Sofa King We Todd Did
    24601, I've been following your saga with the Peugeot bike ever since you thought of building up a singlespeed bike. I have a Fisher Advance which kinda like a Trek 4300 with Fisher stickers on it, I guess. So I'm guessing that the brakes you have might be somewhat similar to mine. They're Promax pieces of crap. While the V-brake calipers are OK at best, I found that the pads were absolutely rubbish and so I upgraded to Kool Stop MTB pads, which were highly recommended to me right here in this forum. These are the ones that are orange and black. I've been absolutely thrilled with them every since. I threw them on. I think you can pick up a pair for about $30 online.

I presume that you've tried searching online for good V-brake deals at the 'usual suspects', i.e Nashbar, Performance, Price Point, etc.? I'm sure you could find a pair of Deore V-brakes for under your $50 budget. I'm told that the absolute cream of the crop when it comes to V-brakes are the Avid Single Digit 7 brakes. A pair of them without the levers would probably come to about $50, about $70 if you add in the levers.

Personally, I'd only buy from ebay if the brakes were listed as new. Last thing you wanna do is get a set of brakes that only have a thin film of brake pad left on the shoes.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the response. I am getting ever closer. The paint and some slow shippers have set me back a little. The clearcoat I am using takes 5 days to fully cure!

I have seen some Avids on ebay, actually for quite a bit cheaper from what the LBS quoted. I am doing my research slowly since i have a little bit of time. I am hoping to be able to use the old levers as they seem pretty solid, so hopefully it will just be the Vs

EPO
    Training in Mexico

Replace the pads

Replace the pads on your Trek with some Avid Rim Wranglers(or shimano cartrage style pads), and make sure that the brake arms are away from the verticle plane when the pads make contact with the rim. This will prevent brake dive and should cost less than 20 bucks shipped for two brakes sets.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I've got the Avid SD7's and they are absolutely great, I upgraded from SD3's which were absolute crap. I'm quite happy with the 7's and got them on ebay for $23 a set. I see cambria has them on sale for $24 a set if your worried about ebay. I would say my 7's are just about if not as good as my avid mechanical disc's on my other bike.

mtbr member
    Good info as I was looking at some cheap OEM 3s on ebay last night.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Yeah don't waste your time or $$ on the 3's, I actually threw mine in the garbage with less than 50 miles on them.