pcx
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Dual control levers for v-brake

I have an old GT timberline which i want to upgrade, to reasonable quality parts, deore and above.
    Yesterday I came across a pair of deore LX dual control levers for mechanical disc on ebay, which i thought would be nice on it.
    My question is, will these control levers work with v-brakes (Deore LX Dual Control for mechanical disc)
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Yes they will work...

if the bike has V brakes. There is no specific lever that is for mechanical disc brakes only. The only time you have to worry is if the bike has old style cantilever brakes, U brakes, or something similar.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

pcx
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The bike has V brakes.

Thanks mate, i think i will give it a try.

Newt Guy
    Nevermind. Missed some of your post explanation.

Yes, steel is most certainly stronger than aluminum EVERY time.
    ~Frosty Struthers

ballbuster

Yeah, they are pretty cool

Quote Originally Posted by pcx
    The bike has V brakes.

Thanks mate, i think i will give it a try.
    I tried Dual Control when they first came out in like 2004 or so. I thought I would hate them, but after the first 10 minutes of riding, I dug the heck out of them even with a rapid rise derailleur.

Now I run dual control on my geared bike. Shimano hydraulic brakes are great, but I like Hope brakes best. Too bad you can't use Hope calipers with Dual Control levers.

Also, the cable brake version... you can upgrade to Avid Disc Brakes pretty easily... and cheaply. Avid BB7s (the good ones) can be found for $45 an end.

I dunno what price you are getting on the fleabay ones, but JensonUSA is doing LX dual controls for Shimano hydraulic brakes for $40 a set, IIRC.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...85+Levers.aspx

pcx
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Well my bike is quite old, and i have no intention switching to hydraulic ( i will get a new bike soon, but i want to keep the old one as well)
    I just want to switch to 9 speed (instead of 8) and while looking for new components i came across this pair.
    These are on eBay UK site, 25gbp about $40, inc. free shipping (new).
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Only rapid fire shifters cost more than these, not to mention new brake levers as well.

Another question while at it, can the 8 speed hub fit a new 9 speed cassette?