Thread: drum brakes?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

drum brakes?

another question, one from someone too young to have been around when drum brakes were more common in the us. i am living in europe right now, and one thing that really strikes me is how many bikes i see with drum brakes. is there any reason for drum brakes to keep getting made, other than that it would be too expensive for factories to switch over to discs? does the drum brake possess any advantage over a disc?

On MTBR hiatus :(

Are theirs any good?

My experience with drum brakes has been that they're passable for cruising the bike path, but they're not strong performers.

Perhaps the fact that they're relatively well sealed from the elements, "clean" i.e. out of sight out of mind, and low maintenance, is what makes them desirable.

The one on my wife's cruiser bike with a Sram Spectro hub has not impressed me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by f*nŠtik
    My experience with drum brakes has been that they're passable for cruising the bike path, but they're not strong performers.

Perhaps the fact that they're relatively well sealed from the elements, "clean" i.e. out of sight out of mind, and low maintenance, is what makes them desirable.

The one on my wife's cruiser bike with a Sram Spectro hub has not impressed me.
    They use them for "DRAG" brakes on tandems as well.... do a 5mi DH and then cook your entire meal on your hub...LOL

Disc brakes are becoming so inexpensive I bet that other types of bike brakes will slowly fade away....sides it is cheaper and faster to make a frame without canti studs.... you can cast a disc mount into a drop out or a fork leg.

Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel

Yeah, that, and they're heavy as sin...

at least the Arai drum my ex and I had on our tandem was. I knew some tandem teams that put their drums on a lathe and removed the heat-sink fins to save some weight. And for all that heft, the brake still wasn't very powerful. Not something I'd want to have on a "half-bike."

Kathy ;^)
    Look where you want to go. This is as true in life as it is in mtbiking.