b a n n e d

Dripping Tech Levers - Hope M4/X2

There was a thread on here a while back that I can't seem to find now . . . someone else had an issue where their tech levers dropped from the tiny hole on the MC cap. I THINK it was due to over tightening the securing bolts, but don't remember. If this was you, or you know the thread, help a brutha' out!

(In case you hadn't guessed, I've got a tiny bit of fluid seeping from the MC cap on both levers).

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    i experienced the same as well, especially after the ride. but i wipe it dry after every ride.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by kianlee View Post
    i experienced the same as well, especially after the ride. but i wipe it dry after every ride.
    Well, I'm getting enough seepage and air into the system that the levers are softening to the point of needing to adjust the reach and BPC. This is not "normal" operation . . . I hope.

mtbr member
    First let me say I don't have Hope brakes, but I have been looking into them and watched a few youtube videos on bleeding them and what not.

It sounds like either the diaphragm under the cover isn't lined up right, is torn, or as you said the lid is over tightened which will displace the diaphragm.

mtbr member

I remember!

I saw that thread mate...

It was the cap screws being tightened too much, back them off a bit and you should be right.

It's also recommeded that you replace the diaphrams when you do a bleed.

I've bled my Tech M4's without any probs thanks to Hope's bleed vids... make sure you roll the diaphram too.

b a n n e d
    Yup, just did a fresh bleed on them last night and it was very simple. I think the problem is with the diaphragm not being seated correctly. We'll see if backing the screw's out makes a difference or not.

mtbr member
    Short of changing the diaphragm, I would remove the MC cap completely and check the position of the diaphragm. Then reassemble, without tightening the screws too much.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalom View Post
    Short of changing the diaphragm, I would remove the MC cap completely and check the position of the diaphragm. Then reassemble, without tightening the screws too much.
    Exactly my plan. These are nearly new, with less than 100 miles on them and they have been doing this since day one. Until yesterday, I've not yet opened them up, so they came this way (drippy) from the factory.

mtbr member
    The last lot I received had some fluid in the container. I have yet to see any evidence of leaking from the unit itself, so I guess that it was from when it was packaged...or I hope so!

mtbr member
    I found my m4's MC cap was somewhat loose. All I did was tighten them up just a bit & they were fine after that. No more drips. Also, when i first bought them & unboxed them I noticed there was some brake fluid around the the MC. Thought nothing of it at first, they worked fine, but it just didn't sit right with me. That's when I tightend them up. No problems now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by chef kungfu View Post
    I found my m4's MC cap was somewhat loose. All I did was tighten them up just a bit & they were fine after that. No more drips. Also, when i first bought them & unboxed them I noticed there was some brake fluid around the the MC. Thought nothing of it at first, they worked fine, but it just didn't sit right with me. That's when I tightend them up. No problems now.
    I also found some fluid in the plastic bag when I first opened my hopes. After shortening hoses and bleeding I had no issues.

b a n n e d
    Yeah, I had a little fluid in the box as well. Shortened the lines, bled the backs (going to do the fronts tonight) and take er' for a spin here real soon. Lever feel is improved (though it could just be psychological.

b a n n e d
    So the drips haven't completely stopped. I have now bled both brakes twice (once from the top and once from the bottom) and made sure to not overtighten the MC caps. Although the drips are SUBSTANTIALLY reduced, there's still a little bit there which is more than I'd prefer.

I wonder if now they aren't on tight enough . . .

b a n n e d
    Sigh . . . saga continues. Hope is now sending out new diaphragms.

no, I'm not riding SS
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    Sigh . . . saga continues. Hope is now sending out new diaphragms.
    Was me that had the same issue--shipped with bad diaphragms. Hope replaced them, and I haven;t had ANY issues with these since. Great brakes.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by shorner View Post
    Was me that had the same issue--shipped with bad diaphragms. Hope replaced them, and I haven;t had ANY issues with these since. Great brakes.
    Yup, I just got new diaphragms from hope too. I've only done the front so far and after 48 hours its still drip free. I'm thinking that was it. Next up is the rear and then out for a ride to see what happens when things heat up.

I should also add for anyone reading this thread that might be concerned about this issue that even with this minor problem, I still love these brakes and will be buying another set without hesitation. They just flat out WORK.

b a n n e d
    New diaphraghms and making sure the MC caps were just tight enough did the trick. I'm now drip free (knock wood)!

For anyone wondering, I tightened each MC cap screw 3/4 a turn past snug. 1/2 wasn't enough . . .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    New diaphraghms and making sure the MC caps were just tight enough did the trick. I'm now drip free (knock wood)!

For anyone wondering, I tightened each MC cap screw 3/4 a turn past snug. 1/2 wasn't enough . . .
    Thanks for the update. Hope this works for you now!