Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Downsizing rotors from 185mm/160mm to 160mm/140mm

9K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  xterrafreak 
#1 ·
Recently bought an 26" 2011 Epic Elite and I'm in the process of dropping weight off the bike (down to 23.5 lbs. so far). I want to downsize my rotors from 185mm/160mm to 160mm/140mm. I'm 145lbs and think that rotor size is a little overkill for my size!

The brakes are Avid Elixir R Sl's and are direct post mount.

Do I need new spacers to drop the caliper down? Can I just remove washers? Thanks for any and all help!!

#2 ·
Recently bought an 26" 2011 Epic Elite and I'm in the process of dropping weight off the bike (down to 23.5 lbs. so far). I want to downsize my rotors from 185mm/160mm to 160mm/140mm. I'm 145lbs and think that rotor size is a little overkill for my size!

The brakes are Avid Elixir R Sl's and are direct post mount.

Do I need new spacers to drop the caliper down? Can I just remove washers? Thanks for any and all help!!
No, don't remove washers from the stack. Doesn't work like that. You need to buy the correct sized adapter.

Just as an aside, have you calculated how much weight you'll actually save? I bet its under 100 grams, TOTAL for a pretty noticeable change in performance.

#3 ·
The 160mm/140mm rotors are all I've ever ridden until I got this bike and I've always been happy with their performance. It's not going to cost much or anything as I already have the rotors. I know the weight savings is minimal but it all adds up.

My bike has post mounts , so I'm guessing I just need different size bolts and spacers? If so what size do I need?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.