mtbr member
    Nov 2007

DOT compatibility

I needed to bleed my avid Juicy 5`s which I`m sure are DOT 4.

I`ve bought the `official` Avid bleed kit which contains a bottle of DOT 5.1 fluid. Is this ok ? can I use this fluid or is it a huge no-no ?

Thanks

Robin

Meh.
    DOT 5.1 is good to go.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    related question: if going from dot 4 to 5.1, should you completely flush the dot4 out first? or is it ok to mix dot 4/5.1?

...idios...
    "related question: if going from dot 4 to 5.1, should you completely flush the dot4 out first? or is it ok to mix dot 4/5.1?"

If you're changing fluid for the sake of it, then you don't necessarily need to, but your system fluid is only going to be as effective as the fluid that has the lowest boiling point, which will almost certainly be the DOT 4. Mixing two fresh fluids is unlikely to ever be a concern to most riders.

If you're changing fluid because system performance has deteriorated, as it will after around a year or so (depending on use), then it is advisable to try and flush as much old fluid out as possible. DOT fluid will thicken over time, as a result of being heated during braking and also as a result of air being drawn past the caliper and lever seals, and fresh fluid should be used to flush this out of the system.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks.