mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Dot 5 fluid in juicy 3's

As usual I was not paying attention and bled my brakes with some dot 5 silicone fluid. Will it ruin my brakes? By the way the lever action sucks, all the way to the bars.

mtbr member
    Um that's bad don't know if you will be able to fix it. My only real advice is to flush it with crap tons of dot 3/4 (cheap)

mtbr member
    You may have to rebuild your entire system including lines.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    No may have to about it. You'll need to rebuild the entire system, replace all rubber components that came in contact with the DOT5, seals etc. And clean everything else with alcohol. And definitely replace the lines. Once a system is contaminated with DOT5, there is no other way to get the stuff completely out of the system.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Flush the system with cheap brake fluid, then take the levers off. Removed ALL the bleed screws. Hang the system upside down, with the calipers up high and the hose ends straight down. Hang the levers too. Wait a couple of days. The DOT 5 will make its way out of the system.

It helps to clear out the stuff if you have a compressed air can or blow gun and run compressed air through of the system.

You shouldnt use DOT 5 because it compresses a whole lot. The silicone wont necessarily harm your hardware.

"While itís permissible to mix DOT 3, DOT 4 and DOT 5.1 brake fluids, DOT 5 Silicone fluid cannot be mixed with any other type. If the system is not completely purged before
    conversion, the mixture may gel and result in very poor braking.

Therefore conversion usually requires disassembly and a thorough cleaning, or at least numerous bleeding sessions over several days."

mtbr member
    Contamination of DOT 5 will ruin all your seals. DOT 5 reacts with other break fluids in a way that will cause seals to eat away and leak. I wouldn't take any chances trying to flush it out. The damage has already been done.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

We have a winner.

I am going with this recommendation. Thanks guy's

Flush the system with cheap brake fluid, then take the levers off. Removed ALL the bleed screws. Hang the system upside down, with the calipers up high and the hose ends straight down. Hang the levers too. Wait a couple of days. The DOT 5 will make its way out of the system.

It helps to clear out the stuff if you have a compressed air can or blow gun and run compressed air through of the system.

You shouldnt use DOT 5 because it compresses a whole lot. The silicone wont necessarily harm your hardware.

"While itís permissible to mix DOT 3, DOT 4 and DOT 5.1 brake fluids, DOT 5 Silicone fluid cannot be mixed with any other type. If the system is not completely purged before
    conversion, the mixture may gel and result in very poor braking.

Therefore conversion usually requires disassembly and a thorough cleaning, or at least numerous bleeding sessions over several days."[/QUOTE]