mtbr member
    Mar 2008

dot 4 vs. dot 5.1 interchangable?

correct me of I'm wrong here: avid juicys take dot 4, elixers take dot 5.1. Is there any interchangeability? can they be mixed? Or must they stay seperate?

Meh.
    DOT 5.1 and DOT 4 can be mixed. The system will only perform as well lesser fluid.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Yeah and stay away from straight up DOT 5.

That's silicone based and CAN NOT be interchanged with any system using DOT 3, 4 or the 5.1 which are alcohol based.

Meh.
    DOT 3, 4, and 5.1 are glycol based.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    thanks, so is 5.1 best performing? if so, should I flush out all the dot 4 and use dot5.1 in my juicys next time I need to bleed? will that provide the best performance?

Meh.
    There are some DOT 4s with a higher boiling point than DOT 5.1. It depends on the specific fluid. Some fluids have a longer service life. Some fluids are less viscous.

Engineer The Future Now!
    Does one tend to absorb water faster than the other?
    holy...

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by ver-T
    Does one tend to absorb water faster than the other?
    Depends on the specific fluid. But yes. As I said, some have longer service lives than others.

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004
    DOT 5.1 has high boiling point and lower viscosity (thin) than 4 or 3. Hard to find though, I had to go to a motorcycle shop as none of the auto parts stores had it.
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    xsl will,

Last time I bled my Codes, I picked up some Synthetic DOT4 from the local AutoZone. Been riding on it for about a month, no problems. What is the difference (if any) between DOT4 and synthetic DOT4?

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004
    I believe DOT 4 is synthetic. The labeling on the bottles just varies, some say synthetic, some don't but it's the same stuff.

I had DOT 4 in my Juicy's for years, worked great. Went to the trouble to find DOT 5.1 and haven't noticed a difference. If anything, I wish I could transfer my Goodridge brake hoses on to the Elixirs. The Goodridge brake lines made a noticeable difference.
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]