mtbr member

Does new rotor require new pads?

I have some slightly worn Avid BB7 organic pads. I bought an Alligator rotor to try. Do I need to get new pads as well? Have any of you tried the BB7 with Alligators?
    "The quality of the box matters little. Success depends upon the person who sits in it."
    The Red Baron
    I need a better box

~Disc~Golf~
    I have not tried the gators...but I see no reason that you would need to get new pads - you will have to bed them in- but other than that...ride it
    Honestly... ahh I give up

i love snow
    you should be fine with old pads, just bed the rotor

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I just switched to new alligators, within the first ride the front bedded in, the rear took two rides.

No problems without putting new pads, oem avid juicy pad.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeboater
    I have some slightly worn Avid BB7 organic pads. I bought an Alligator rotor to try. Do I need to get new pads as well? Have any of you tried the BB7 with Alligators?
    You will want and need the sintered pads with the Alligators, not the organic pads. So yes - you need new pads...

BB

TNC
    noMAD man
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    You will want and need the sintered pads with the Alligators, not the organic pads. So yes - you need new pads...

BB
    Why is that? I've not used Alligators, and I'm not hot on organic pads, but what's different with Alligator rotors to require sintered pads? Is it a metallurgy deal?

mtbr member
    I've just fitted an Alligator rotor on the front Hope mono M4. I've also fitted the hope adaptor to go from a 180mm to a 200mm. I decided to change the pads for EBC Gold's. Did my 1st proper ride last night and it was all bedded in after the first 5 or 6 light brakings.
    I didn't want to take the chance of buying a new rotor and then having pads that have not been bedded in to that specific rotor.
    The EBC's do seem better than the old Hope sintered that I was using. I think I may have to do the same on the back now too
    Intense 6.6

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    Why is that? I've not used Alligators, and I'm not hot on organic pads, but what's different with Alligator rotors to require sintered pads? Is it a metallurgy deal?
    The Alligator rotors have lots of big open cutouts. These pretty much shave pads like slotted rotors do on a car. The organic pads get eaten very quickly.

mtbr member

Thanks

I have some metal pads I'll swap in.
    "The quality of the box matters little. Success depends upon the person who sits in it."
    The Red Baron
    I need a better box