mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Does my brake need to be bled?

I have a set of Hayes Strokers on my bike. Basically one season of use. Since day one they have felt really nice- grippy with nice modulation.

Both front and rear brakes felt "the same" for lack of a better term. In mid October of last year I went DHing at a ski area. Ever since then the rear brake has felt mushy or soft. The front still feels the same but the rear lever needs to be pulled in alot farther to get the same braking power.

Question- is this a sign that the brake needs to be bled? Do I need more fluid?

thnx in advance

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    cant hurt to bleed. you need one after a good season anyways. brakes use only a small amount of fluid so it susceptible to contamination, water absorption etc.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Hello,
    I am having a similar issue as the OP but it is only after about 2 months of usage, would really l;like to know how to correct this.

thank you

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Have you replaced your pads since then? The strokers have a limited ability to self adjust for pad wear but as the pads wear the amount of lever stroke increases. Unless you overheated the fluid or there is a leak somewhere you shouldn't have to bleed. If the fluid got overheated you should replace with all new fluid. If there is a leak the brakes should be rebuilt or replaced. Also if you are using organic pads they won't last very long at a ski resort.