squish is good
    Quote Originally Posted by rockintheshed
    ok thanks for responding but then what about a front only brake ive seen that done before and not on a fixie
    Good training method to teach yourself to go easy on the rear brake but in an emergency stop situation I'm pretty sure you'd still want both brakes. Hell, for regular trail riding it's just a good idea to have both. The front and rear brakes are points of control, they are really nice to have when unforeseen conditions arise.

Seriously, BB7's are fantastic brakes and cheap. There is no reason to not have both brakes if you can afford a set of these. I know hydro's sound sexy but they can be a pain in the long run, nothing wrong with BB7's.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Does anyone use a rear bake only

i am figuring out upgrades and am wondering if i should get dual BB7's or just get some kind of hydros but only get a rear brake because i have a $135 spending
    any suggestions on hydros or if rear only works or not

squish is good
    Uh, dirt jumpers use rear brake only. Wouldn't recommend it for any kind of trail riding though. Just get BB7's, you can get front and rear for the cost of a low end hydro now and they work really really well. I've been toying with running them on my AM rig as an inexpensive alternative to my old and busted hydros.
    Bike good, work bad.

What could go wrong ...
    +1 on the BB7s
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

Barfed
    Jun 2007
    +2, go with dual brakes, the mechanicals are not a bad brake, just stay away from cheapo hydros

One brake in the rear won't do much for ya, all your braking power is up front.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    ok thanks for responding but then what about a front only brake ive seen that done before and not on a fixie

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I ran a set of Magura HS33 on my singlespeed rear only for a little while. Just not enough brake to stop my fat ass on cross country rides. I swapped out for dual Avid Arch Supreme v-brakes. I would love to make the jump to disc, but can't afford it right now. It's not so much the cost of the brakes for me as it is the cost of the hubs I would need.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i am already good with using my rear brake b/c i hve old coda hydros and my rear dosen't do cap so i pretty much only use my front and i think ill get BB 7's thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I had a front rim back in the day warp and had to disingage my front brake for the second half of the cross country ride.

If you ride flat stuff only it would not be a problem except for needing to stop fast. If you ride anything that you would have to keep your brakes on normally for a down hill to keep your speed low then you are hooped. Since you only have to put minimal force on a back brake to lock them going down hill they will skid the whole way which will not slow you down very much. Even if you have the rear brake on with just enough pressure so it does not skid you will not be able to keep your speed down.

So it all depends on what you ride. Overall I would never ride with out a front brake unless I hated my self and thought it would be good to break some bones.

Live Free or Ride!
    My BMX has back brake only, as far as trail riding that's nuts, front or rear only. You just need it.
    2007 Giant Anthem 1
    2009 Giant XTC 0

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Depends on the trail, when I'm riding on smooth single track I rarely ever touch my front brake, I just use the rear to take of a bit of speed. Anything moderately tech I'm on the front brake a whole lot more than my rear.

So say I ride exclusively smooth single track, I'd probably get away with using a rear brake only. But I don't, I like challenge, so both brakes are a must.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    If I could only afford one brake, I would do front only. It's so much more important on the trails. But as everyone here already mentioned, a pair of BB7's cost less than $100. You could use the left over $35 for some nice housing/cables like the Avid Full Metal Jacket. Assume you probably already have some levers you can use.
    2010 Giant Anthem X
    Friends don't let friends ride Tune hubs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Dude, they are almost giving away Hayes 9 brakes as they have been phased out due to the new Stroker line. They are very durable with great stopping power. You can get a pair for a little over $100.