mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Does anyone ever bring a trailside brake bleed kit for long rides?

I've had my brakes fade on a 2k' descent before, and it kind of kills the ride.

Does anyone ever bring like a small bottle of fluid to do a quick trailside brake bleed? Would it be as simple as an eyedropper bottle with fluid, and topping off the master cylinder?
    idiom - raleigh hard rock
    http://www.idiomband.com

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Not me

Epic rider
    You need new brakes.. :-)
    Fading doesn't equal air in the system.

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9100 met Tapatalk
    12 Anthem X29
    07 Epic Marathon carbon
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Anniversary
    03 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    00 Rockhopper Pro

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rapsac View Post
    You need new brakes.. :-)
    Fading doesn't equal air in the system.

I've actually faded Forumla brakes on a demo bike, as well as Hayes on my downhill bike. So I'm not sure it's linked to a specific poor brake. And it isn't a common occurrence, but wondering if I can have a failsafe for long weekend trips with a 1oz bottle of fluid without packing syringes.

But it is the boiling of fluid to evaporation. Which the space is then replaced with air. Either way, anyone have thoughts on a solution to combat the 'lever-to-the-bard' syndrome when in the backcountry on a trail ride?
    idiom - raleigh hard rock
    http://www.idiomband.com

Epic rider
    It was only a jest...
    But if you have no air in your system bleeding doesn't help.
    If your brakes are overheated you just have to wait a while to let them cool down or brake less :-)
    If your brakes do not recover after cooling down they need a proper workshop (not trailside) bleed or (partly) replacement.
    Would also be interested in a miracle cure (apart from a more heat resistant brake system or less braking).

12 Anthem X29
    07 Epic Marathon carbon
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Anniversary
    03 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    00 Rockhopper Pro

b a n n e d
    I highly doubt you are getting your brakes so hot that you are evaporating brake fluid. Brake fade is not the result of air in the line, its because of heat build up and poor heat dissipation.

Get DOT 5.1 fluid, larger rotors, braided lines and stick with organic pads. If its still a problem (which to be honest, it shouldn't be . . . 2K descent isn't what I would call crazy), then lay off the brake or stop and let the brakes cool. The reason your lever is going to the bar is not because of losing brake fluid, its because its taking that much more force to generate braking power. My guess is, if you let the brakes cool, your lever throw would return to normal.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    I highly doubt you are getting your brakes so hot that you are evaporating brake fluid. Brake fade is not the result of air in the line, its because of heat build up and poor heat dissipation.to vapourize the fluid at pressure is very very difficult

Get DOT 5.1 fluid, larger rotors, braided lines and stick with organic pads.No not neccessary If its still a problem (which to be honest, it shouldn't be . . . 2K descent isn't what I would call crazy), then lay off the brake or stop and let the brakes cool. The reason your lever is going to the bar is not because of losing brake fluid,If you loose enough fluid the brakes go to the bars its because its taking that much more force to generate braking power. My guess is, if you let the brakes cool, your lever throw would return to normal.
    Yes brake fad is caused by the pads getting to hot, and no the fluid does not vapourize...nor does mineral oil in other brakes.

If your brake or brake lines are leaking get them fixed....Usually this will result in oil on the pads, and lose of braking power.

If the brakes are fading then get a bigger rotor.

Yes brake stabbing to help cool the brakes.....

I have mineral oil brakes if I lost enough fluid I might dump the rest of my chain lube into the master cylinder.....but at that point I would have to have lost both brakes to bother.

In the end I have never damaged a hydro line 6 years now touch wood...

I got a big enough rotor so I don't cook them anymore.

I have had leaks.....just dealt with the lose of power.

I can ride one brake....I may have to walk the odd tech section...but that is not going to be a problem, overall.

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by stevehollx View Post
    I've had my brakes fade on a 2k' descent before, and it kind of kills the ride.

Does anyone ever bring like a small bottle of fluid to do a quick trailside brake bleed? Would it be as simple as an eyedropper bottle with fluid, and topping off the master cylinder?
    I think that by the time you would get the bleed, the system would have cooled off by itself.

I don't know which brakes you have, but from what I've seen and done, it's not a 1 minute thing to do, it would take around 10 min per brake (okay, maybe faster if you get more practice, but even it could be likely it would take longer), and doing that on the trail would risk you not doing the bleed properly and have to do it over again.

I just don't think it's practical.