mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Does anybody use the place holder thing?

I'm speaking of the red piece of plastic that came in my calipers to keep the pads from touching. I understand that if the brake lever is depressed while the wheel is off, I have to take apart my brakes? My question is, should I be using that plastic thing every time I take the wheel off. Thanks.

MTBR Demi-God
    If the brake lever is depressed without the rotors, the brake pads will stick together. You do not need to take apart the entire brake. Just use a flathead screwdriver to gently budge the two pads apart. The red peice is used as a dummy "rotor" to save you the trouble of manually budging the brake pads out...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I will use mine if I air transport the bike,

If I pack it up, or transport it for several days I will use it.

But just for a days drive to the mountains, I won't.

I will use it to help center the brakes per instructions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Have not used one, but I have to be very careful when putting the bike in the car to not hit the front brake lever. I recently picked up a couple of the transit blocks and will use them- a few seconds to pop it in can save a lost ride- sometimes the brake pads are destroyed when prying the pads apart.
    I bike; therefore, I work

Meh.
    Brake pads may get some pits and gouges from a flathead... but they SHOULD NOT be destroyed. Pads often get such gouges from regular use anyways.

In most hydraulic brakes, the pistons are self-adjusting for pad/rotor wear. So when you depress the lever without a rotor between the pads, the pistons will just keep pushing out until... 1. the pads sandwich together... or 2. the piston pops out of its bore. If 1, you just need to reset the piston. If 2, you'll need to check the piston and o-ring for damage, pop the piston back in, bleed, and likely replace the pads.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by VT no 1 2 or 3
    - sometimes the brake pads are destroyed when prying the pads apart.
    this shouldn't be the case. using a flat head screw driver is fine. whoever ruined their pads didn't know what they were doing.