Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Do yourself a favor and get Shimano XT brakes

I had an Elixir 1 setup on my GT Sensor 9r Elite and GARBAGE doesn't even begin to describe them.

I broke so many things on that bike in the 2 weeks I had it that I had to return it. Then I jumped a few classes and got a Trek Superfly 100 AL Pro, which was appealing to me because it has brakes that aren't Avid.

The modulation is just so much better, I don't have words that explain it. There were places where the Avid's would just lock up the wheel and make me crash... then I go somewhere steeper with the XT brakes and I can go down as slow or as fast as I want. The confidence they give is incredible.

Do yourself a favor and spend the money, unless of course you already have equal or better

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Tx for tip. You haven't lived unless you have tried some dialed in formula brakes

See what I did there. Same outrageous statement(still true

human dehumidifier
    My turn for an outrageous true statement ... if you read the forum, all brands have problem after problem except for Hope. Shimano's the worst because they're not user-serviceable.
    When you get older, much of your hate comes from knowledge and experience, which is why really old people hate everyone

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    My turn for an outrageous true statement ... if you read the forum, all brands have problem after problem except for Hope. Shimano's the worst because they're not user-serviceable.
    Not sure how serious you're being, but I've had my Shimano M666s for two years, put on at least a few thousand miles and have had absolutely no issues. Is that outrageous?

human dehumidifier
    No more outrageous than me saying I've got a set of Elixirs that did the same thing although they need rebuilt now.

Your M666 brakes have the mark of the beast anyway, they're immortal and indestructible.
    When you get older, much of your hate comes from knowledge and experience, which is why really old people hate everyone

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    Your M666 brakes have the mark of the beast anyway, they're immortal and indestructible.
    I can't believe that never occurred to me. Though, the beast is not indestructible and will be thrown into the lake of fire. I hope my brakes fare better than that.

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jsilva View Post
    I can't believe that never occurred to me. Though, the beast is not indestructible and will be thrown into the lake of fire. I hope my brakes fare better than that.
    Yeah because Shimano plastic parts would melt quickly in the fire ... OK, enough of that

mtbr member
    May 2013

Smile

Stop! You're making me want new Shimano XT brakes. I currently run Avid Elixir 1's, which came stock on my bike. I just bought new Alligator rotors and Kool Stop pads, in an effort to make the Elixirs "better," too. :-)

mtbr member
    shimano brakes are awesome. I've got the XT and XTRs. Excellent modulation and performance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by veritechy View Post
    I've got the XT and XTRs. Excellent modulation.
    Not tried Hope brakes then, as you will understand what modulation in brakes actually feels like.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by veritechy View Post
    shimano brakes are awesome. I've got the XT and XTRs. Excellent modulation and performance.
    If you consider modulation as on and off then you are correct...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Those who continue on about how Shimanos have no modulation and are on/off:

It really doesn't matter if Hopes (or whatever) have 'better' modulation, there are those of us who are able to modulate our Shimanos just fine. They are sensitive for sure, and I suppose if modulation were even easier that could be nice, but it is not necessary since I'm not straining to modulate as it is.

mtbr member
    Shimano modulation is not at all on/off. I'm not at all a heavy guy, so if it were on/off I'd be very sensitive to it. Are you using 2 fingers to stop? These are really 1 finger performance, you don't need to grab them with multiple fingers...

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Any of you guys or gals running these nice Shimano XT brakes with non-Shimano rotors? You've got me considering buying a new set of Shimano XTs, and using them with my new Alligator Wind-Cutter rotors. Any problems you see in doing that? I searched the forums and found some info from others talking about it, and it sounds like it wouldn't be a problem at all. I've already opened the Alligators, but I haven't installed them, yet. So, I'd rather take advantage of using them, as opposed to paying another +/- $90 to get the Ice Tech rotors. Besides, I got the colored Wind-Cutters, and they look cool! Several places have the Shimano XTs on sale for decent prices right now. Looks like I could get a complete set, with adapters, for around $280ish.

mtbr member
    I'm using IceTech XT braked with Magura Storm SL rotors just fine. And I'm fat so they modulate really great.

mtbr member
    dshoe70, I've used the Alligators and they work fine.

mtbr member
    Using HS-1 rotors and they stop great.

I brake with one finger only.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    @ veritechy and RS VR6...

Thanks for the info! Any squealing from your Shimano XTs, and Alligator or HS 1 rotors? I currently have HS 1s on my bike now, and the Alligators sitting on the floor (waiting to be installed). Hoping maybe new Shimano XTs will help cure my squealing issue (back brake only, running Elixir 1s with HS 1 rotor). May pull the trigger on the Shimanos over this weekend.

mtbr member
    @ dshoe70
    No squealing unless I just washed the bike or the rotors get wet. Once they are dry it is fine.

mtbr member
    Running XT's with Hope floating rotors, awesome set up.
    Too many bikes, and just enough time to ride them.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hey dudes... Check it out...

Think I'm going to order a new Shimano XT brake set. I'm wondering about the adapters I'll need though. I think the rear one is pretty straightforward. I guess I'd need the 180/74 post/back/51 IS for the rear. See my pic, and let me know what you think. For the front, I guess it would be the 180/74 post/front/74 post. Is that the way you see it, based on my pic of the current front-end set-up? I want to be sure to order the right parts, and this will be my first DIY brake job. Thanks for any help or confirmation you can provide!

Attachment 808596

Attachment 808597

Attachment 808598

Universal Cycles -- Shimano Disc Brake Adapters

Shimano Mount Adaptor Front Post to Post 180mm | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

wyrd bi ful rd
    Quote Originally Posted by proto2000 View Post
    Running XT's with Hope floating rotors, awesome set up.
    +1 ...

Brakes sometimes squel because the pads are contaminated.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Okay... I did myself a favor, and pulled the trigger on a new Shimano XT brake set earlier this morning. They should arrive either late this week, or early next week. I'm excited! I hope they're all they're cracked up to be. I went ahead and spent about $30 more to get the new 2014 model, too, with the newly redesigned clamping mechanism. I also got new Shimano front and rear adapters, too. I'm going to set em' up with my new Alligator Wind-Cutter rotors. If any of you know of any good tips or tricks for the install process, which aren't in the standard install instructions, then please let me know. This will be my first DIY brake installation project. From everything I've read so far, it sounds like the process is pretty easy and straightforward though. :-)

mtbr member
    Hearing Shimano described as having better modulation than Avid is certainly not the "normal" way these two brakes are talked about. I concur that Elixir one's are pretty poor performing and used mostly on entry-level type bikes, but I would not describe any Avid brake "going all the way back to their Linear pull models", as an on/off switch.

mtbr member
    While XTs are certainly great brakes, I've had a few sets of Avids and they've also been great. That said, I've never tried an Elixir 1. My current Elixir CR Carbons and XO Silvers are excellent. I personally prefer the feel of Avid brakes over Shimano, but that dosen't really make one better than the other. YMMV, apparently.
    Dave
    Blog / Strava

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast