mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Do you really need pad contact adjustment?

I about to buy some new brakes and are between the Avid Elixir CR and R.(maybe some Codes) You get the pad contact adjustment on the CR, as well as a higher price. I can get 8inch R set for $200 total. My question is, is that adjustment feature really needed, can you adjust the pad on the caliper?

banned
    Nope.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Nope, as in you don't really need it or nope, as in no pad contact adjustment on the caliper.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I've used a lot of brakes over the years, mostly Hopes- but a few others aswell. In all that time i never once thought 'what this brake needs is a bite point adjust'. In fact on the brakes i own that do have this feature (all Formulas, FWIW) i find it to be useless, just because i have to run it fully on (shortest lever throw) to get close to how i like it, and then it is still not quite enough.

It may depend on the model of brake, and i can't speak for the new Avids. But on all the Hopes i've had and the others- Juicy 5's, Louise FR, Gustavs and Saints it's been totally unneccessary. I think you need opinions from people who have used these particular brakes rather than brakes in general.

A lot of manufacturers probably feel forced into providing this feature on their brakes, or atleast their top end brakes, simply because of percieved benefit, and because everybody else is doing it.

Forgot to mention, tried different settings on a mates new XT brakes (by adjusting that tiny crosshead screw!! WTF) and could not notice any change in that either.
    Last edited by A MAN CALLED HORSE; 10-26-2008 at 01:21 PM.
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tb2007
    Nope, as in you don't really need it or nope, as in no pad contact adjustment on the caliper.
    Nope, don't need it. I also have a BPC on my Hope front brake and never use it. Brakes should be as transparent as possible and just work. Avid instilled this idea with the Speed Dial that everyone needs these useless controls on their brakes.

nnn
    mtbr member
    Just think of it as another way for the brake to fail - totally unneeded imo.
    "Life begins at 140" Richard Burns
    http://www.nikolay-k.com

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004
    I have to say, the Elixir's pad contact adjustment works way better than the implementation on Juicy 7s. You can actually feel the range of adjustment immediately after just a quarter turn, and adjusted down to literally engage with almost zero lever pull. In combination with the reach adjustment, I'd say it's much more useful now.
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]

LDH
    mtbr member
    I find it to be effective on the juicy ultimates and I also found I liked the speed dial levers with my BB7's. You set them up the first time how YOU like them and then forget about the adjustment.

TLL
    mtbr member
    Nope. Unnecessary. I have had it on my last two sets of brakes and have not bothered to use it.

Now being able to adjust the lever reach on the other hand . . . .
    Last edited by TLL; 10-26-2008 at 08:31 PM.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Awesome guys thanks for the input. I went ahead and order the R version for $100 a wheel.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I like it ,