mtbr member
    Mar 2012

do shimano slx disc rotors (sm-rt66) work only with resin pads?

i have, what i believe to be the newer slx on my giant xtc. these are the brakes:

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830800233.pdf

i have the sm-rt66 rotors which is the 6 bolt. I was told today by bike store that these are for resin only pads. I'm a bit skeptical of this since i've recieved wrong information from the store previously about what brake pads will fit in the calipers (they sold me deore pads).

i've been looking here at shimano trying to find something that says what pads go with what rotors, but cant seem to find anything.as yet:

Shimano

There were murmurs at the bike store about 'ice tech' which i believe has greater heat dissipation due to construction (alloy sandwiched between stainless steel). But anyway, do i need special rotors to run metal pads?

Plays with tools
    Off the top of my head I remember shimano doing a resin only rotor. I also remember it having "resin only" engraved on the rotor. It was a price point oriented rotor that I believe was OE for a few brands looking to save money. The resin only rotor could be made from softer steel and still wear well. I would call Shimano and verify what your rotors are intended to work with.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    RT66 works fine with all pads, it's the RT5x series that's resin pad only. I think I've also seen some cheapo OEM rotors from Shimano which are resin pad only, but I can't recall seeing them for sale outside of ebay or a distributor's catalog.

Bottom line. Anything from the RT6x, 7x, 8x, and 9x series is compatible with metallic pads.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    thanks for your help guys