mtbr member
    Mar 2005

do Magura Marta SL's feel like Formula K24's?

I am thinking about switching to a lighter brake, going from Formula K24's to Magura Marta SL's. I'm wondering if these brakes have the same feel, bite, stopping power? Previously I had Hope Mono Minis and hated them! There was no bite at all, no matter what rotors or pads I used or how much I bled them. I'm lightweight (150lbs) so it's not an issue of having too little brake. I really like the overall feel and performance of the K24's but I'd like to lose another 100+gr if I can without taking a performance hit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    If you like the performance of the K24's then I'd stick with them.
    If you want lighter weight then use the money you'd spend on the Martas and buy carbon levers, Al backed pads and some Ti bolts for your K24's. You could try some lighter rotors too.

mtbr member
    The feel of the Marta and the K24 is quite different. The Magura lever is firmer with a more positive engagement but the K24 have more braking power when fully engaged.

I have '05 Marta SL on my XC bike and they are great for that purpose. Very light, easy to maintain, and plenty of brake for my 165lbs (I use a 180mm rotor in the front and 160mm in the rear).

The K24 are on my DH bike with 203mm rotors front and rear. For DH riding they are ok, but I have had them fade on me on top to bottom runs on race courses. On a trail bike they would be stellar, and that's where they are going next.

they are both great brakes but I would not get rid of K24 to save a few grams in a place where weight matters very little (close to the ground and non-rotating).

What wheels are you running? Chances are, if you are serious about putting your bike on a diet, you would get a much better bang for your buck putting those $500 you are going to spend on brakes towards a light wheelset.

Live Free or Ride!
    How bout Formula The One's, or wait a couple of weeks for the R1's which are under 300g each. I have 07 marta sl's and love them. I use them on my xc bike though. Depends on the type of riding you do. Realistically a couple grams don't make any difference. The K24's are a really sweet brake as well.
    2007 Giant Anthem 1
    2009 Giant XTC 0