Noob
    Jan 2012

Do I service hydro brakes even if they feel okay?

I have a pair of Avid Juicy 7 Carbons that I bought used about a year ago. When I bought them, I put new organic pads on them and used them for all of last season. The brakes work and feel fine (did then and still do today). The pads still look like they have life and don't look like they need to be changed. So, do I need to bleed them or do any other maintenance, even though they seem fine? Just wondering if I need to do anything preventative, I guess.

mtbr member
    Personally, I have. Last year I bought a set of used martas. I knew the front needed a bleed because I had to pump the lever in order to get any brake. I went ahead and bled the front and decided to do the rear. I thought the rear flet great but when I bled it, WOW. what a difference. Felt that much nicer. You should try it, you might find it improves your brake that much. But if you do not care and the brakes are running how you like, then keep on ridding.

Never enough time to ride
    It's a good idea to bleed at least once a year. The reason being is DOT brake fluid is hydroscopic, i.e. it absorbs moisture from the atmosphere. Yes the brakes are sealed, however no seal is absolutely perfect. So you end up with a little moisture mixed in with the fluid. This affects the performance of the brakes, obviously. It happens slowly over time so you really don't notice any difference in performance. That is until, like cman8, you do the bleed and go wow!

Anyway, it's your call. As noted, if the brakes are still performing well you can probably get away with another season on them. Then again maybe not. An annual bleed is recommended preventative maintenance on almost all bicycle hydraulic disc brakes though.

Good Dirt
    Get out and ride!