mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Do I need a torque wrench to install Avid BB7's?

I noticed it has Manufacturer specs. Can I install the brakes without a torque wrench?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yes you can install without a torque wrench, they are just recommended torque specifications.

Assuming you have a multi tool / hex tool that is less that 10 cm in length, tighten them as much as you can. It will be difficult to over tighten them - rotor and caliper bolts have a pretty high torque rating, and unless you have a tool with a lot of leverage, it would be difficult to achieve anyway.

The bolts on the BB7' are steel, which would be require a lot of torque to shear off the bolt head so don't worry, but make sure they are tight, otherwise the caliper may misalign when braking causing pads to rub etc. I don't have a torque wrench, and seem to torque my BB7's just fine.

mtbr member
    If you tighten them as hard as you can, you'll snap those bolts straight off pretty easily. Especially the rotor bolts, they're very low torque. 55 inch/lb. The calipers are 90 inch/lb. With a small wrench, this is just a bit more than hand tight.

You can install them without a torque wrench easily, just dont go nuts. They're LOW torque bolts! If you're not comfortable and experienced enough to do it by feel, you might want a torque wrench.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I got them installed perfectly! It was kind of nice how easy they were to install vs. those stock Novellas.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    It still might be worth buying a torque wrench. It will put you at ease while working on the rest of your bike. There are torque specs for a reason and things like rotors should really have the same torque spec all the way around. I have the Park Tools TW-2 that goes from 0-600 inch pounds. This one on amazon is going for 45 but you can probably find it cheaper. http://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-Torq.../dp/B006WLKNBM
    "Sir, you're drunk!" "Yes, Madam, I am. But in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly."

mtbr member
    Torque wrench at harbor freights for ~$12 is perfect.
    Current Ride:
    Ibis Mojo SL-R - Medium - South Beach White
    '11 Specialized Roubaix Compact Rival

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonylokrn View Post
    Torque wrench at harbor freights for ~$12 is perfect.
    Nice! Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by uzyrmind View Post
    Nice! Thanks!
    The In. Lbs. torque wrench at Harbor Freights only comes in 1/4" socket and goes up to ~250 In. Lbs. If you have the extra funds, pick up the 3/8" torque wrench as well in case you ever need for for the crank.

Don't forget the extra bits as well, I picked up a star and hex bit set from Northern Tools for $6 per set.
    Current Ride:
    Ibis Mojo SL-R - Medium - South Beach White
    '11 Specialized Roubaix Compact Rival

mtbr member
    What are you guys using for less than 20 in lb?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    If you tighten them as hard as you can, you'll snap those bolts straight off pretty easily. Especially the rotor bolts, they're very low torque. 55 inch/lb. The calipers are 90 inch/lb. With a small wrench, this is just a bit more than hand tight.

You can install them without a torque wrench easily, just dont go nuts. They're LOW torque bolts! If you're not comfortable and experienced enough to do it by feel, you might want a torque wrench.
    For rotor bolts the threads will strip long before the bolt head shears off.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail6 View Post
    For rotor bolts the threads will strip long before the bolt head shears off.
    Ya, the threads in your nice expensive aluminium hub. DOH

I dont understand what is wrong using the proper tool for the job.

Spanish rider
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    Ya, the threads in your nice expensive aluminium hub. DOH

I dont understand what is wrong using the proper tool for the job.
    Maybe that most people don't have that tool?. Or they don't want to spend as much in tool as in the brake set?

It's obvious that using proper tools makes everything easier, but this tools are expensive (if you want something accurate that won't fall apart right after the first use) and they are rarely used. It kind of "hurts" spending a big amount of money in something that you're going to use once a year. Then you think "let's take it to the LBS to be torqued to specs" and in most cases they don't use torque wrenches so....
    A pessimist is an experienced optimist

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I find that by using a star pattern and a torque wrench my rotors are laser straight, vice when I had installed rotors in the past using only the star pattern.

I feels good to build a bike 110% within torque spec, I'm sure it rides only .01% better but I know and thats half the battle.