mtbr member
    Apr 2009

do I need new rotors?

Hey guys, I just received my new Avid Elixir R's, and they came with rotors as well. Can I keep my current rotors on or is it recommended to use the new rotors that came with the brakes? (fyi, my current rotors are 8" and the new ones are also 8"). My current rotors are in good condition, so will I notice any difference with the new ones? thanks

one less car
    me thinx you're better off using the new rotors, rather than old rotors and new pads
    nothing in life is real, so if anything goes wrong, blame the dead guy

TNC
    noMAD man
    The Elixirs come with G3 Cleansweeps that are pretty darned good rotors. That said, I'm running a later generation 160 Hayes rotor on the rear of one of my bikes with the Elixirs, and they seem to work as well as Cleansweeps. The G3 probably gives a very slight weight advantage compared to some rotors.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by B@dKarma
    me thinx you're better off using the new rotors, rather than old rotors and new pads
    Why's that so? With cars, they actually recommend changing out rotors and pads at different times.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    thanks guys. I was asking because one of the torx screws on the rear rotor has a stripped head so I can't get it off. If using a new rotor doesn't make much of a difference they I'd rather not deal with trying to get the stubborn thing off. Alternately, if it is highly recommended to use new rotors with new brakes, then I will go through the trouble of getting this thing off.

No longer 26
    Quote Originally Posted by statenine
    thanks guys. I was asking because one of the torx screws on the rear rotor has a stripped head so I can't get it off. If using a new rotor doesn't make much of a difference they I'd rather not deal with trying to get the stubborn thing off. Alternately, if it is highly recommended to use new rotors with new brakes, then I will go through the trouble of getting this thing off.
    I had this happen just a couple of days ago. Just dremelled a slot in the head and removed with a screwdriver. It was pretty quick and easy.
    G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

Anti-Outsourcer
    Jan 2007
    I hate when people don't do one thing, because of another thing, because of another thing, because of something little like a stripped screw.

Fix the screw, change the rotor, avoid a giant snowball of doom.

I've watched two of my friends absolutely destroy their bikes because of stuff like that. A derailer will be a little out of adjustment, and instead of fixing that, they wait until it wears on the chain so much that it F's up their chainrings, puts all sorts of weird wear on their BB, blah blah and ultimately they stop riding because they didn't feel like tightening a screw.

It's painful to see a $1200 Bighit slowly rip apart into an unrideable $100 pile of scrap.

So please... All of you... Fix the little things the second you notice them.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by vk45de
    Why's that so? With cars, they actually recommend changing out rotors and pads at different times.
    Actually more mechanics would recommend you use new pads with new rotors.

You can use the old rotors, but I would wet sand them with a fine grit sandpaper and lots of water to remove any bedded pad material.

Stripped bolts are still very easy to remove. Just do it.

The G3 rotor is pretty good too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    points taken. I will dremel out the old screw....calm down cheese! Take a deep breath, its ok. I am new to the sport so had no idea if using old rotors with new brakes was an issue. Since a new rotor is recommended, I have no problem removing the stripped screw. thanks for the advise everyone, I have learned a lot from these forums, keep up the good work!