mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Do I have to run a shimano rotor with a shimano caliper?

I have shimano m485 hydraulic disc brakes on my 08 Gary Fisher Piranha(orig. equip.). Both front and rear rotors are 160mm. I'm trying to get some more performance out of these brakes. Aside from changing pads, it has been recommended that I swap the front rotor for at least a 180mm, possibly a 203mm. Does it matter what brand rotor I use? Does it have to be shimano brand? Would I need anything other than the bracket that is required to offset the caliper on a larger size rotor? The fork is a Rockshox Tora 302 if that matters. Thanks

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    it is usually safe to use other brands on shimano brakes... the important thing is that the braking surface is wide enough for the pads to make full contact and shimano rotors usually have a smaller braking surface than others, so other rotors should work fine...

persoanlly I have used avid rotors and hope rotors (without the alu carrier) without problems....

Slick Rick
    I use a 185mm avid rotor with shimano lx brakes, also on a Tora.

So you're good to go.

MTBR Member
    Is there a specific reason you want to change up the brand of the rotor? I have the same brakes and might also be switching the front rotor out for a 185 mm one, so I am kind of interested to hear why you are going for another brand. Also, the 203 might be a little overkill.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    A lot of people bought sets that came with centerlock rotors or no rotors, and they just use the 6 bolts wheels they already had.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I ended up going with a 203mm shimano hone front rotor. My lbs is waiting to hear from Shimano next week to see what they are going to do about my defective Shimano m485 calipers(warranty work)...they're both leaking brake fluid on the rotors. So I figured while I'm waiting for the bike I'd have them install the bigger front rotor. I feel like I use my front brake a lot more than the rear and I was looking to get a little more performance out of these brakes...which I'm not impressed with yet and that's why I went w/ a 203mm front rotor. I think I'm going to go with a different set of pads as well. Any recommendations?

Hard as nails
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    it is usually safe to use other brands on shimano brakes... the important thing is that the braking surface is wide enough for the pads to make full contact and shimano rotors usually have a smaller braking surface than others, so other rotors should work fine...

persoanlly I have used avid rotors and hope rotors (without the alu carrier) without problems....
    In your opinion, do you think that the Hope (w/ alum carrier) will work with shimano 4 pot (M755) calipers?
    Last edited by Dirtman; 09-30-2008 at 01:47 PM.
    [SIZE="4"]Thank God men cannot fly, and lay waste the sky as well as the earth.
    Henry David Thoreau[/SIZE]

http://vimeo.com/6232260

...idios...
    "In your opinion, do you think that the Hope (w/ alum carrier) will work with shimano 4 pot (M755) calipers?"

If you get the Mono Mini/M4 floating rotors they will fit with your XTs. The pads are also the same for the Mono M4 as for the M755s.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

Hard as nails
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    "In your opinion, do you think that the Hope (w/ alum carrier) will work with shimano 4 pot (M755) calipers?"

If you get the Mono Mini/M4 floating rotors they will fit with your XTs. The pads are also the same for the Mono M4 as for the M755s.

Thanx Steve
    [SIZE="4"]Thank God men cannot fly, and lay waste the sky as well as the earth.
    Henry David Thoreau[/SIZE]

http://vimeo.com/6232260