Quiet Professional

Do Finned pads really make that much a difference for zee brakes?

So I am running zee brakes and they came with non finned resin pads. I am thinking of moving to sinetered or metallic pads. I am running 203mm sm rt66l rotors.

Last edited by chef7734; 04-22-2013 at 12:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    How long & steep are the downhills in your area? In my area where there's nothing more than a few hundred feet high I have no reason to use finned pads on my Saint & Zee brakes, those pads are rather expensive and I don't get any benefit from them. The brakes are barely warm when I get to the bottom of the hill, I could touch the cooling fins without burning myself. Which is why I'm just using regular metallic pads in the Saint and the stock resin pads in the Zee; they're much cheaper, have the same performance, and I don't feel bad about wearing them out. I prefer metallic pads since they last longer.

Now if you regularly ride trails with long DH sections or you do a lot lift served riding at a place with lots of vertical drop, then the finned pads can make a lot of sense. It'll keep the brakes cooler and prevent brake fade on long steep runs. It's extra insurance to make sure that your brakes always work at their best.

Oni
    Master Of Fooliganism
    I've got the finned ones and I'm amazed at how hot the fins get when I stop at the bottom of a particular DH section. I thought it was a gimmick, but it actually seems to work.

Oni

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chef7734 View Post
    So I am running zee brakes and they came with non finned resin pads. I am thinking of moving to sinetered or metallic pads. I am running 203mm sm rt66l rotors.
    With the current setup that you have, are you experiencing brake fade.

If NO, then dont bother changing.

If Yes, consider the finned pads as they will help dissipate heat a bit better.

If fade is present, also consider the Ice-Tech rotors once your current rotors wear out - again, they help dissipate heat better - but only really needed for those that are experiencing brake fade.

Neither option will make the power of the brakes greater when being operated at their optimum performance temperature.

Helmetless Crasher
    Yes, the finned brak pads work well. It is basic old "heat sink" technology and it works.

Whether or not you need them is an entirely different question that only you can answer.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two