Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Do any of you have this jingling noise with your BB7's?

So I recently installed BB7 disc brakes on my bike. They are currently working great, no rotors rubbing and no squealing noises when applying the breaks. However, I have noticed a decently loud jingling type of noise when going at faster speeds, especially on pavement. It is either something vibrating against the rotor or the rotor scraping something, I don't know. Sounds similar to a metal shovel being dragged across pavement but not as loud and with more of a jingly ring to it, haha, if that makes sense.

I adjusted the brakes per the Avid manual, and the problem got better, but it is still there. If I apply the brakes a tiny bit while the noise is happening, it will stop. I'm pretty sure it only comes from my front brake.

Also, it is louder when I turn sharply at higher speeds. The noise only arises when I get up to a certain speed, seems to be related to the vibration of my bike, but what do I know. All I know is it is loud and annoying. haha. Thanks guys. I appreciate any help you can give me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    My old J7's did that.

It was the small metal clip/spring that held the pads apart. I replaced that and it was good. You could probably bend it outward though. Although I recall reading somewhere that that was a built in feature to indicate that the pads were worn down.....not too sure about that though.

Spud State Rider
    I get that noise when I stand and really pedal hard...more so when the handle bars sway back and forth more. I assume it is flexing in the wheel and or fork causing the disc to touch the pad lightly. I wish I could get it to go away though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I just tried bending the pad spring outward. It still seems to make the noise. I can't tell if its a little better or the same.

And Doug, yeah I was thinking that it may be the fork flexing and making the pads lightly tough the rotor, but then I was thinking if that was the case, wouldn't it make the same noise if you just light squeezed the brake lever itself to make the pads barely touch the rotor?

I don't know, I don't get it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I just tried bending the pad spring outward. It still seems to make the noise. I can't tell if its a little better or the same.

And Doug, yeah I was thinking that it may be the fork flexing and making the pads lightly tough the rotor, but then I was thinking if that was the case, wouldn't it make the same noise if you just light squeezed the brake lever itself to make the pads barely touch the rotor?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Wow, I don't know why it just posted my message a bunch of times, sorry guys. Anyways, does anyone else have experience with this issue?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Try moving the pads outward, away from the rotor a click or two. It will make the lever travel more but it makes the jingling go away maybe. At least that works for me. It's a trade off for quieter brakes-more lever travel. Less lever travel-jinglier brakes. Kind of like a metalic ching, ching, chinging?

Spud State Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by ironhorse1
    Try moving the pads outward, away from the rotor a click or two. It will make the lever travel more but it makes the jingling go away maybe. At least that works for me. It's a trade off for quieter brakes-more lever travel. Less lever travel-jinglier brakes. Kind of like a metalic ching, ching, chinging?
    Yes, that's describes the sound I hear pretty well. My rotors are not perfectly true so that is why I think it is not a constant sound.....just the one section of the rotor lightly pinging off one side or another of the pad. Yes backing out the pads does reduce the occurrence of the noise.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    That's seems to be the whole, and only adjustment, backing out the pads. Again, it's a trade off. Minimal lever pull w/slight ping-ching or no sound and a little more lever pull. Of course initial setup is critical to get the most out of this one and only adjustment.I still like the heck out of BB7's.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Yeah the thing is, I have adjusted both pads out as far as possible and still get the noise. Its not like a noise of the pads rubbing on the rotor, I mean the noise I'm talking about isn't the noise of having the pads adjusted in too far to where they touch the rotor and you get that kind of scraping, shhhiiingg noise as the wheel turns.

The noise is like a jingling, sort of like someone ringing a bell. It only happens at higher speeds and while cornering. It seems to be related to the vibration of my bike quite a bit, which makes me think somethings loose. Possible the pads or H-spring are loose or something? It's a metal on metal rattling, jingling sound.

Oh so I saw in the manual about a tension screw on the BB7's to adjust the way the brake pads retract, at least I think that is what its for. Is that for the H spring? Should I mess with that? Does that screw do the same thing as taking the pads out and bending the H spring outward to create more tension?

Thanks guys. I'll try what you guys suggested, adjusting the pads out further. I'll see if that makes a difference.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    oops, I forgot about that tension spring thing. I adjust mine to get the max spring return pressure. Which I believe is the screw all the way in.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Yeah I tried tightening the tension screw. Of course that didn't work either. I guess I'll live with the noise.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    It's your wheels and hubs flexing. I usually get that noise while riding the the streets to the trail head. Mostly when taking corners. Lateral forces on rim transfer to the hub flanges through the spokes. The hub flanges are connected to the rotor mount. These forces slightly flex the rotors that are connected to them . The fork stantions that the caliper is connected to is much stiffer and does not flex as much. If you do not have much clearance between your rotors and pads or your rotors are slightly bent (whose aren't) you will have rub. I notice this less on my AM wheelset that my XC wheelset. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Edit: The larger the rotor the more noticeable this will be. Small flex x large distance = equals large displacement. Avid recommends that you keep the rotor near the inside pad (because this is a one piston system). You may be able to solve your problem by backing off the inside adjuster one or two clicks and dialing in the outside adjuster one or two clicks. I've done this many times and usually it works; if not 100% it lessens the frequency the noise occurs. Good luck.
    Last edited by WV_XCE; 09-11-2009 at 08:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Ahh alright so there's not really anything I can do. The flexing makes sense as to why it makes that noise when cornering but what about just when I'm going straight on pavement and it makes the noise?

Though, what makes me think it is not just flexing of the wheels is the fact that I can stand next to my bike, and just lightly drag or scuff one or both of the tires sideways across the pavement and reproduce the noise.

To me it sounds like the set of brake pads are rattling/ jingling around in the caliper. I mean I can move the pads back and forth by hand a little bit, I don't mean by pressing them together in and out, but in a side to side type motion, as in, the direction the rotor spins. Is that suppose to happen or are the pads suppose to be like completely fixed?

~Disc~Golf~

Check your pockets...

"Do any of you have this jingling noise with your BB7's?"
    that jingling noise is the all change from the $$ you saved getting BB7s over hydros
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    "Do any of you have this jingling noise with your BB7's?"
    that jingling noise is the all change from the $$ you saved getting BB7s over hydros

Haha, Thanks man. Not sure if that was meant to commend my purchase or mock it, but I'll assume the latter. Either way, I'll check it out. Maybe there are a couple nickels stuck in the caliper.

~Disc~Golf~

why would you assume that?

Quote Originally Posted by TheWaydown
    Haha, Thanks man. Not sure if that was meant to commend my purchase or mock it, but I'll assume the latter. Either way, I'll check it out. Maybe there are a couple nickels stuck in the caliper.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    haha my bad. Well, you can see how your reply could be taken either way. I wasn't sure if it was sarcastic or not, but apparently not! So wait, do you have the same noise?

~Disc~Golf~
    So wait, do you have the same noise?
    well, not really.
    Sometimes, when I first get up to speed (25-30mph), I'll get a few 'shiiings' - almost as if the wind is affecting the pads a bit - but is goes away quickly and I don't mind it.
    It's just my warp-speed indicator

mtbr member
    your wheels can flex even traveling in a straight line if you are mashing the pedals. I would try adjusting those brakes some more.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Well yeah I realize they can flex easily, but what about the fact that I can reproduce the jingling metal on metal noise by lightly dragging the tires sideways across the pavement when I'm stopped, off of my bike? That's the only thing that makes me think its not just flexing of the wheels.

I'm going to try to adjust my pads away from the rotor so more. I have the outside pad set pretty far away, far enough where I wouldn't think it would it could touch the rotor when the wheel flexes. I feel like I have the Inner pad adjusted as far out and away from the rotor as it should be without causing too much rotor flex when I apply the brakes. I have it adjusted to the point where it doesn't rub on the rotor when I spin the tire, and then I went as far as like 4 or 5 clicks more to try and keep it further away from the rotor to possible eliminate the jingling noise. I feel like if I adjust out any further there will be too much flexing of the rotor when I apply the brakes.

I think I am going to pull the brake pads out, go for a ride, and see if the noise still occurs. At least I can pinpoint the noise a little better. Thanks for everyone's input. Let me know if you come up with any other possibilities.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I think I am going to pull the brake pads out, go for a ride, and see if the noise still occurs. At least I can pinpoint the noise a little better. Thanks for everyone's input. Let me know if you come up with any other possibilities.
    I did that and the noise went away, I really think it is the H-spring vibrating.

Lets RIDE!
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    Sometimes, when I first get up to speed (25-30mph), I'll get a few 'shiiings'
    So that's what that noise is! I get that too, only on the rare occasion when I'm on pavement, descending at 30+ mph. I've never been able to figure out what it was. Always freaks me out and I slow down.

You might want to trim your cable shorter Highdelll.....bad things happen if it finds it's way into the rotor. A buddy of mine had it happen. We think the cable got pulled into the caliper and jammed in the pads....mayhem ensued. He broke the caliper, bent the **** out of the rotor, and damaged some of the threaded disc mounting holes on his hub

JZ
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

mtbr member

This worked for me...

Hey, fellow BB7 owners.

I had the same faint metal-to-metal "jingling, schiing" sound from my BB7s that occurred especially when I would stand up and pedal (i.e. mash). Mine seemed to be coming from the rear brake.

The noise is completely gone for now since I recently replaced my Roundagon rotors with some new G3 rotors. I doubt it's the type of rotor used that is the problem unless my old Roundagons were slightly warped but I wasn't aware of it.

My best guess is since I recently installed new rotors which involved me having to re-tighten the rotor to the hubs and then having to readjust the caliper (which also involved re-centering and re-tightening the CPS bolts) made the problem go away.
    So maybe try re-tightening all the rotor bolts evenly to make sure they're all tight and equally flush and re-centering the caliper again.

I try/like to keep my brake pads as close to the rotor as possible without rub since it has better brake lever feel and power. With my new rotors installed, there is the bare minimum gap between the brake pads and rotors and I have yet to hear that "jingling/schiing" sound again even if I try as hard as I can to mash the pedals to recreate it.

Hope this helps. Like I said, it worked for me with new G3 rotors but I am not certain as to why.
    Strength of a grizzly; Reflexes of a puma; And the wisdom of a man

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast