Mtbr minion
    May 2006

Do any pro racers use Hope?

Why is it that with every photo from downhill and enduro racing there aren't any bikes with Hope brakes? Kinda weird that a high-end braking system is nowhere to be found.

mtbr member
    As for pro racers, I'd say it's because Hope doesn't sponsor any of them. Everything you see on a pro racers bike (including VR46's M1) is there because the item manufacturer supplies it to the team in return for the add value. If Hope doesn't step up with product and possibly some $$ too, the teams will use the stuff from the companies that do..

b a n n e d
    How hard did you look? Hope does have a factory sponsored team as well as sponsored riders. They have 3 DH riders, as well as 4 XC racers and had at least 1 enduro rider - all sporting Hope brakes.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm not a pro, but I will be using hope brakes.

You want to use them now...don't you?

Mtbr minion
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by HillbillyTom View Post
    As for pro racers, I'd say it's because Hope doesn't sponsor any of them. Everything you see on a pro racers bike (including VR46's M1) is there because the item manufacturer supplies it to the team in return for the add value. If Hope doesn't step up with product and possibly some $$ too, the teams will use the stuff from the companies that do..
    Not to take the post sideways, but I can assure you that Brembo does not give monoblock calipers to any factory race teams in MotoGP, WSBK or AMA. They purchase brake parts from the manufacturer, you just see them the most because they are the best. Same with suspension, tires, bodywork, etc. Perfect example- Honda Japan owns Nissin and Showa, but use Brembo and Ohlins on the RCV213 through a racing purchase contract.

That's why I asked the questions - you don't see Steve Peat, Aaron Gwin, Gee Atherton, Sam Hill, etc. on Hope Tech V4's. Just seems kinda strange.

Mtbr minion
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    How hard did you look? Hope does have a factory sponsored team as well as sponsored riders. They have 3 DH riders, as well as 4 XC racers and had at least 1 enduro rider - all sporting Hope brakes.
    I have seen their factory team bikes, that wasn't my point. You don't see other factory riders on Hope Tech's. I'm sure sponsor contracts have a lot to do with it, but you would think someone big would be using them.

Just curious.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by VR46 View Post
    I have seen their factory team bikes, that wasn't my point. You don't see other factory riders on Hope Tech's. I'm sure sponsor contracts have a lot to do with it, but you would think someone big would be using them.

Just curious.
    Sorry, I misunderstood your OP. I'm sure that sponsorship has everything to do with it.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Just curious.
    SRAM and Shimano probably bundle brake packages in with gear packages for race teams.

mtbr member
    Not to take the post sideways, but I can assure you that Brembo does not give monoblock calipers to any factory race teams in MotoGP, WSBK or AMA. They purchase brake parts from the manufacturer, you just see them the most because they are the best. Same with suspension, tires, bodywork, etc. Perfect example- Honda Japan owns Nissin and Showa, but use Brembo and Ohlins on the RCV213 through a racing purchase contract.

That's why I asked the questions - you don't see Steve Peat, Aaron Gwin, Gee Atherton, Sam Hill, etc. on Hope Tech V4's. Just seems kinda strange.
    At the factory MotoGP level, it's an intertwined big business maze of contract negotiations and financial slight of hand. Yes, the teams buy parts from Brembo and Ohlins, but then Brembo and Ohlins pay Yamaha, Honda, and Ducati for the add space used with putting their emblems on the factory team bikes. Then everyone writes it off their taxes as "advertising". After all the wheeling and dealing is done, it's much more cost effective for the factories to do it this way. Cheaper to buy the technology than it is to R&D, tool, and manufacturer it themselves. Body work is designed and fabricated in the wind tunnel by the factory teams, very seldom outsourced. Tires used to be another contract wheeling and dealing scenario until the coming of the single tire manufacturer rule. Pretty much a set price for everyone now.
    WSBK is a slightly different thing, more dependent on outside sponsorship $$, but much of the same parts sponsor/team, advertising contracting as is found in MotoGP. This is very noticeable in the difference between the factory BMW, Aprilia, Kawasaki, and the more bucks down privateer back marker bikes who don't have much advertising bargaining clout, and do have to buy all their ( many times cheaper, lower level) parts outright.
    So, back to downhill and Hope brakes. There aren't many teams using Hope brakes because they aren't many teams sponsored by them. And for companies like Shimano and Sram, there is nothing to gain, and all to loose from outsourcing kit items like brakes (in effect telling the world that Hope brakes are better than theirs on the team bikes, totally counter productive advertising). So you're never going to see them on a Shimano/Sram backed ride.
    Hope brakes are used by teams who are getting paid to use them rather than Shimano or Sram, and by weekend warrior privateer riders who do buy all their stuff, have the spare coin, and think they look/work enough better to be worth the cost.