mtbr member
    Apr 2007

which disk for the new Shimano XTR brakes

I have finally upgraded my Yeti to the new Shimano XTR brakes. I intend to replace my rear disk (see picture) as well. Can you advise me as to which disk I should buy? Many thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails which disk for the new Shimano XTR brakes-20130120_171249.jpg  

mtbr member
    Get the finned Ice-Tech pads (F01 resin or F03 sintered) and corresponding rotor (RT98) and you will have a great system.
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks Kiwi. However, it seem to me that the RT98 disc exists only as centerlock version. As you can see from the picture, that wouldn't fit to my wheel. Or am I mistaken?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Really no additional opinions?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I'm going to try the new Kettle carbon rotors on my XTR Race 985's. I should have them next month.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xc71 View Post
    I'm going to try the new Kettle carbon rotors on my XTR Race 985's. I should have them next month.
    I am really interested in your thoughts on the carbon rotors (as I have the same brakeset). Please post your findings!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiplague View Post
    Get the finned Ice-Tech pads (F01 resin or F03 sintered) and corresponding rotor (RT98) and you will have a great system.
    I would use up the existing pads first, then when it comes time to get new pads decide if the finned pads are needed for your intended use (ie if you are not having any issues with overheating/fade with the non finned pads, why spend the few bucks /weight penalty extra ?)

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I love the look of the carbon. But there have been some misgivings about Kettle (see forum search) claiming things like contracts with distributors - which some have said to be less-than-true.

That may be poor/inappropriate marketing practice by an inexperienced vendor, and it does not bother mee too much. Except that I worry that their quality control may be just as bad. Carbon can delaminate, and in the worst-case scenario the brake blocks and you fall - while a truck is close behind you...

But if I knew that Kettle can be trusted, I would go for the carbon rotor as well.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    What's a truck doing on a singletrack?

Are there any certifications/standards a certain company needs to adhere to before releasing a carbon product into the market? (like helmets for eg.)