mtbr member

disk fit question

can you fit any bike with a disk brake setup or do you have to have certain mounts?

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Yes you have to have....

mounting tabs to mount disc brakes to the frame. Forks also need to have tabs or posts for mounting disc brake calipers. There are some mounting systems out there that make it possible to mount disc brakes to non-disc brake compatable frames. But they are usually rather on the heavy side and usually limit rotor size options.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash
    mounting tabs to mount disc brakes to the frame. Forks also need to have tabs or posts for mounting disc brake calipers. There are some mounting systems out there that make it possible to mount disc brakes to non-disc brake compatable frames. But they are usually rather on the heavy side and usually limit rotor size options.

Good Dirt
    And your hubs need to have rotor mounts.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash
    There are some mounting systems out there that make it possible to mount disc brakes to non-disc brake compatable frames. But they are usually rather on the heavy side and usually limit rotor size options.
    I'm having trouble searching this subject...
    Does anyone have or know someone with experience regarding disc brake adapters? I've got an old Fisher and want to add rear disc.
    I've seen the "Brake Therapy" unit, nicely made, but rather pricey to add to an old bike.. Then I came across this on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=370109891225

Not concerned about weight so much as if it works well. Vendor has been responsive to questions.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gcurtis
    I'm having trouble searching this subject...
    Does anyone have or know someone with experience regarding disc brake adapters? I've got an old Fisher and want to add rear disc.
    I've seen the "Brake Therapy" unit, nicely made, but rather pricey to add to an old bike.. Then I came across this on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=370109891225

Not concerned about weight so much as if it works well. Vendor has been responsive to questions.
    Thanks

Post a picture of your Gary Fisher frame showing the non-drive side dropout area as that will help greatly.

Regarding the adapter, ask the seller if the adapter bolts to the inside or to the outside of the dropout.

You will need to grind away (shorten) part of the axle and left cone nut to accommodate the thickness of the adapter if it is bolted to the inside of the dropout.

mtbr member
    try contacting a local bike repair store they should be able to answer that for you

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks for responding standard3x.
    I started a new thread not to highjack this one. I'll post a pic there. I believe there is enough clearance on my frame for these devices to work.
    New thread @ Disc brake adapter kits
    But to respond to your note.
    The ebay unit goes on the outside and is attached with a 6mm bolt (drill thru dropout). A custom longer quick release skewer w/ adapter, and an arm extending to the old V-brake pivot also re-enforce the unit.
    The expensive "BT" unit goes on the inside of the dropout and rest on a newly installed adapter (swapping out the old cone spacer) and pretty much floats on the axle/hub with a quick release fastening pin setup. It also has the arm that reaches back and attaches to the old brake pivot. Pretty similar idea devices.