mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New question here. Disk Brakes: Rims and Hubs, or just hubs?

I am going to buy a Specialized Stumpjumper Pro (Uk one) it currently is Avid Ti brakes and i'd like to switch it to disks but i dont have enough cash to buy complete wheelsets. Is it possibvle just to swich the hubs r do you need to swich the rims too? Any feedback would be great
    "If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by candlelight."
    George Gobol.

On MTBR hiatus :(

In general, yes...

Quote Originally Posted by htims_nivek
    I am going to buy a Specialized Stumpjumper Pro (Uk one) it currently is Avid Ti brakes and i'd like to switch it to disks but i dont have enough cash to buy complete wheelsets. Is it possibvle just to swich the hubs r do you need to swich the rims too? Any feedback would be great
    Depends on the rim, of course, but a good percentage of rims will do just fine with discs.

But monitarily, I don't think you'll be saving any money taking this route. Disc brake compatible hubs almost always have larger spoke flange diameters than non-disc hubs (plus different flange offsets to make room for the rotor mount), so you would not only need new hubs, but spokes as well (and someone to build the new wheel for you if you're not up to the task yourself).

Probably makes more sense to sell your wheels for whatever you can get for them and put that money towards a new set.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Or better yet, have the shop upgrade to a disc wheelset when you buy the bike. Then all you would have to do later on is buy the calipers and rotors if you went with Avid mechs. You can ask a shop to change out parts you don't have to buy just what they sell.
    Pat T.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

thanks

thanks guys i think ill take your advice and get the shop (i also work there so..) to swich the wheelsets when i buy the bike
    "If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by candlelight."
    George Gobol.