Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Disk Brake Upgrade - Which One?

669 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  dogonfr 
#1 ·
I thought my V's brakes were the best for my type of riding, which it was for the last year since I started it up again. I have a lot of Power, enough to put me over the handle bars, and I love to slam my front brake to lift of my rear wheel while I sit in the saddle....

...anyways, My riding style has changed a bit and I'm "braver" and getting out on Wet and partially muddy trails and V's are not made for that type of riding. I already bought some DT Swiss Disk compatible Wheels and am looking for Disk Brakes.

What should I look for? I found some great deals on AVID BB7's (around $50 each). Also I was looking at some Hayes MX 1's and 2's, also I found a really "cheap" Gator Hydraulic system in around the same price range.

I weight #180 lbs and was thinking to go with a 180mm front and 160mm rear disks. Or should I go bigger?

Any help here is welcome as I see some people who switch from V's to Disk are disappointed. Thanks in advance

BTW, I have an 08 Specialized Rockhopper, currently with a Dart 3 shock.

See less See more
#2 ·
The BB7's can't be beat in their price range. For mechanical there really is no other brake.

I don't know anything about the Gator brake, but I would stay the hell away from it. Cheap hydros are a headache (possibly death inducing..) waiting to happen. For new the Formula k18 is as cheap as I would go, and even then you're looking at ~$140 per brake. Used you could find a set of Hayes Mag for 60-80 bucks, just make sure you don't need to replace the pads or rotors or it will get pricey fast.

You must be willing to maintain either mechs or hydros, and the consequences are generally more dire if you don't maintain a hydro.

You shouldn't need rotors bigger than that unless you are getting more into hardcore downhilling.

You won't be disappointed with discs as long as they're set up right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.