mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Disk Brake Troubles

I've got a set of disk brakes on my new bike, about 4 months old now, and this past weekend i noticed that when i brake it feels like there is no brake until a certain point when it seems like it full brake, i don't know if i'm describing it right. But anyways, is this just an adjustment issue or what? thnks in advance for the advice

utilikilted
    To help clarify, your brakes are either full on (like almost a skid) or you have nothing? In other words, no modulation (no feathering the brake so to speak)?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Correct, there is very little in between

John has a long moustache
    What caliper do you have? Is it free floating or fixed? If it's fixed you may have the caliper mounted to one side and when you apply force the piston has to bend the disc until it hits the stationary pad then it locks down. The easy fix it to loosen the bolts, apply the brake then tighten the caliper back up. Once it's tight adjust the travel to suit your needs.
    I'm not name-calling. I'm just listing the facts. The fact is that you did NOT have 6in inserted----alexrex20

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    A better question yet is, what brakes do you have? Brand, model, hydraulic, mechanical? We could guess all day without getting it right without that information.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Sorry i prob should have included that in my first post, they are tektro mechanical disk brakes, im not sure the exact model, but they are on an entry level bike

Austin

The Tektros have an adjustment on the inside that will move the inner pad close the disk. See if your disk is flexing when you brake.
    I'm not name-calling. I'm just listing the facts. The fact is that you did NOT have 6in inserted----alexrex20

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks for the advice, i actually did that this afternoon and it helped alot. However, when i did this i noticed theres a ring on the rotor that is more shiny than the rest, as if the caliper is putting more pressure there than on the rest of the disk, and its more prominent on the front rotor, is this normal?

If you look closely enough you will see that the ads are only contacting a small party of the rotor. When I went from Tektros to BB7's the difference was unbelievable.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks for the advice, yeah i have debated about upgrading but i think i will save my $$ to upgrade the entire bike and make do with what i have right now

Austin