Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Disk brake installation

844 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Mondoman1 
#1 ·
How important is it to torque down the bolts on disk breaks?
Should I just tighten them until they are really tight?
Do you use (Should you use) Loctite Thread Locker?

I just got my whole setup in (wheelset and brakes) and my LBS is charging me $10 each to install by AVID BB7s, i'm not sure if this is something I should save on and do myself, but I don't have a torque wrench. If I go buy one it's gonna end up more than $20 for sure.

#5 ·
daleksic said:
How important is it to torque down the bolts on disk breaks?
Should I just tighten them until they are really tight?
Do you use (Should you use) Loctite Thread Locker?

I just got my whole setup in (wheelset and brakes) and my LBS is charging me $10 each to install by AVID BB7s, i'm not sure if this is something I should save on and do myself, but I don't have a torque wrench. If I go buy one it's gonna end up more than $20 for sure.
A tourque wrench is a very valuable tool to have.

New BB7's should have the correct loctite pre-applied to the bolts.

If you don't learn how to install them, you'll never know :) BB7's are very simple if you follow the instructions.

#6 ·
i would recommend that you save your $20, and install them yourself. I am sure you have a bit of common sense and that is all you need. rotor bolts are only torque to 3-5NM which is fairly light, almost just 'finger' tight only. not 'grip' tight! calipers bolts being a bit larger, can take a bit more torque and usually so about 6-8Nm.

torque specification will have been indicated on the installation notes. rotor bolts torque might not be mentioned, but just finger tight will be ok.

remember after "bedding-in" your pads, just go over them again to make sure that they have not become loose and after the first ride, check them again and that will be fine.

if you are not happy just by 'finger tight' and 'grip tight', then investing in a torque wrench will be a good choice.

remember common sense ... small rotor bolts, if you use your full arm to torque the bolts, you can quite easily remove the heads ...

assuming you have a bike already ... just loosen your lever bolts by 1/8th of a turn and tighten them again ... that is about 3-5Nm ... bolt size about the same ... :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.