Thread: Disk Brake help

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Disk Brake help

Ok Im sure this has been asked and answered a thousand times... I'm a proud owner of a 2008 Specialized Hardrock Comp Disk. Recently I lubed the chain and I think that I may have got some oil on the rear disk brake. I bought a degreaser at the local bike shop and sprayed off my front and rear rotors. The front brakes work fantastically, although the rear brake screams when just when Im about to come to a stop. It seems to vibrate through the whole frame. I'm not sure what to do, and I hope that there is an easy fix to the problem. Thanks for your time guys...

...idios...
    Degreaser won't do much of any use, and you really shouldn't be spraying it randomly at parts of your nice new bike. New pads for the rear, methinks, and clean your rotors with hot, soapy water or Isopropyl Alcohol. Check out the maintenance guides linked in my signature below - there's some cleaning basics and also a section about cleaning rotors effectively.

Welcome to MTBR.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Ok well, the product said it was designed for use on brake rotors. Anyway, went to walgreens and bought some rubbing alcohol and we'll see if that does the trick.

...idios...
    "Ok well, the product said it was designed for use on brake rotors."

You're missing the point. Rotors are made of stainless steel so can be easily rinsed with simple soapy water. The advantage of Isopropyl Alcohol is that it will dry very quickly after just a quick wipe and will not leave any residue. I'm not saying that degreaser won't clean the rotor, but you'll just have to wash the degreaser off afterwards, thus creating more work/mess. When I said that it won't be of much use, I meant that it wouldn't get the lube out of your pads. Once a brake pad has absorbed a lubricant it is nigh on impossible to remove all traces.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks Steve for putting up with my noobery. I took the pads off and gave them a light rub with some fine grit sand paper and cleaned off the newly finished pads with some rubbing alcohol and it seemed to do the trick...