mtbr member
    Aug 2008

disk on 2001 Superlight?

Hello, I'm new to this disk brake thing.
    I have a 2001 Santa Cruz Superlight frame and an newer XTR disk brake for it. I went to install it today and the disk brake tabs on the frame are not threaded. Is there a special adaptor I am to use or is it longer bolts with nuts?
    Thanks,
    Rodel

mtbr member
    May 2008
    All repairs and mods to a bike can be done if you apply a modicum of common sense to it.

1. Check that the tabs on the frame are in fact IS disc tabs (the bolt holes should be 51mm eye-to-eye apart and NOT threaded).

If they are threaded, then they are likely to be the 22mm Hayes mount.

2. Current XTR calipers are Post Mount (PM) with an attached PM-to-IS adapter for the rear. This adapter can then be bolted to the inside of the frame - put the two bolts through the disc tabs from the outside of the frame into the threaded bolt holes of the adapter on the other side.

You need an adapter.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for the replies.
    The rear brake is indeed attached to an adaptor which is threaded. The set I installed on my wife's fuel were different and the frame had threaded tabs.
    I appreciate the lack of condescending attitude as there's already way to much of that around.
    Have fun,
    rOdel