mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Discs vs Calipers

I am shopping for bikes for me and the missus. B/c I need two I can't spend as much.
    Most know of motobecanes from Bikes Direct. The have a Fly XC that meets a bunch of my needs; Hard tail, < 25 lbs, < $1,000. But it comes with caliper brakes. Would I be giving much up by going caliper? The tought of a 22.5 lb hard tail is really appealing.
    The Fantom comp has discs for $795 but I am not so sure about the 130mm adjustable fork.

Thanks for the advice in adavence

banned
    Lot of register today, first post about Motobecane posts as of late.

One would think their hired posting services would be a bit better at their spelling.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Uhhh, no. I am looking for a bike.
    paranoid?

mtbr member
    lol caliper brakes? Like this?

Caliper brakes < cantis < Vs < discs
    Caliper brakes are really all weather products. Doesn't matter rain or dry, they just won't stop you.

Meh.
    Depends on what kind of brake setup are on each bike.

A high quality V will provide you plenty of power in the dry. But it does not offer the same braking performance and consistency in the wet or mud. If you knock your rim out of true, your braking will be affected.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by vk45de
    lol caliper brakes?
    Caliper brakes are really all weather products. Doesn't matter rain or dry, they just won't stop you.

LOL
    Now that is funny!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Meant V's. But yah know what I mean.
    Never mind

183 BRO's before hoes.
    Sep 2006
    Disc brakes have calipers.

Weekend Warrior
    Ok, i had V-brakes and converted to disks. The power between my old Vs on my BB7s from avid are about the same. I actually had more raw power with the V's.

However, where I ride it gets muddy and wet at certain times of the year and even though a good V setup will break in the wet just as good as Disks, it's when the mud hits the rim where the V's just fail. I rode just yesterday into a mud puddle covering my rim just enough where a V's just wouldn't have worked anymore.

IF you however don't encounter mud i would say stay with the V brakes and upgrade to KoolStop brake pads (Black/Salmon compound). They are absolutely the best. Make sure you got good V brake calipers and levers. The whole system is as weak as the weakest part, regardless of which way you go. V's are also lighter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pistonbully
    Meant V's. But yah know what I mean.
    Never mind
    Actually no, I assume you mean exactly what you state. To me, why would you go through the trouble to spell caliper when V is a lot simpler unless you meant it.

Anyway, I tried some Avid Vs w/ rim wrangler pads on mavic crossmax - they don't even come close to my hayes hfx comps. Feels to rubbery.

GO JIMMIE!!
    I would go with disk. Other than shredding mud the fact that you don't always need a perfectly trued wheel is another good thing.
    My Bike: '03 Specialized HardRock FrankenBike
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

Weekend Warrior
    Yeah, depending on the quality of the wheel, it may or may not need frequent truing.