mtbr member

Discs are Rubbing

In my front disc there is a rubbing noise. I think it is the brake stopper. I believe the disc is leaning on to one side of the stopper to make this noise. How would i go about fixing this? Is it hard to do? Or should i just get into my car, do the 30 min car drive and get my LBS to do it for free.

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

Depends

It's always nice to challenge one self to fixing your own bike- you'll eventually find that you can do almost everything yourself.

Disc rubbing - common problem.

Some possibilities:
    - Rotor is out of true (slightly waving, not flat). Rotors are easy to true yourself.
    - Caliper is not aligned properly to the rotor (off center). Depending on the type of disc brake you might have to add or subtract thin shim washers to move the caliper to the center. Other brands you simply loosen the mounting bolts and slide the brake left/right till it's centered with a squeeze of the lever.

Anyways, this is a start.

or

Just go to the LBS and have them diagnose and tell you what they need to do to fix.
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    WOW this sucks. I have no clue how to fix these brakes. I find them so complicated. I guess im going to have to take a look 2morrow in the morning and see if i can figure it out. I do really want to ride and not go all the way up to my LBS. This is such a pain, one day with the bike and it is rubbing already.

I ride a Swarf
    how long does it take for the wheel to stop if you spin it? if its only just touching and making a noise then just get out and ride. Disks rub a bit sometimes, night just be a bit of crud.

Stu

mtbr member
    I have figured out the problem. It is my disc is rubbing the end of the stopper. The most rear of the stopper. And it only rubs that tiny spot. So it doesnt rub the whole stopper, just the end, further in the little casing. The right stopper is fine and shows no difficulty. So in a nut shell a small part of my disc rubs the end of the left stopper.
    Last edited by GinoLicious; 05-15-2005 at 10:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GinoLicious
    In my front disc there is a rubbing noise. I think it is the brake stopper. I believe the disc is leaning on to one side of the stopper to make this noise. How would i go about fixing this? Is it hard to do? Or should i just get into my car, do the 30 min car drive and get my LBS to do it for free.
    I think you should take it to the bike shop. 30 minutes is not that far away.

mtbr member
    Well i rode on it today and it wasnt 2 bad. But i really do think i need to get it checked out. I dont know how to fix it.

By stopper do you mean brake pad? It might help if you were specific about what kind of brakes you have, too.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Yes brake pads. Sorry im new to this. And the brackes are 8 inch Hayes. The ones that come stock on the Norco Rival.

Gravity Rides Everything
    a small amount of brake rub is inevitable, especially with larger rotors. don't worry about it unless it's slowing your wheel.

Ride on
    Jan 2004

Start learning about your brakes

Why not visit the Hayes web site ? There is a manual for each type of brake; the manual has useful maintenance and troubleshooting information. It would be a lot faster to recenter your calipers than drive for an hour back and forth from your bike shop.

mtbr member
    I think my calipers need to be re centred just not quite sure how to go about that. It also appears that the rear brakes are also rubbing lol.

mtbr member
    Now im starting to think there is no possible way these calipers are off centre because i have hardly ridden the bike. Is it possible for them to get off centre in 2 days? Or is it that my discs are dirty and need to be cleaned? So they are nice and smooth to go through the caliper and brake pads?

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

center

There's no guaranty that a new bike fresh from the LBS will be running perfectly. I got mine from a supposed custom builder and had to do a several adjustments, one of them being the disc brakes. In my case the rotors were out of true (waving slightly), therefore rubbing.

This was the start of my learning process with adjusting and using disc brakes.
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    I have no clue on how to fix this. Now when i ride, i have also noticed a rattling noise as well. Generally it use to be a hummin noise coming from the disc and the caliper. Now i think its a rattling noise. So now i think my disc is lose. I have no clue wtf is going on. Nor how to fix this.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GinoLicious
    I have no clue on how to fix this. Now when i ride, i have also noticed a rattling noise as well. Generally it use to be a hummin noise coming from the disc and the caliper. Now i think its a rattling noise. So now i think my disc is lose. I have no clue wtf is going on. Nor how to fix this.
    If the disc is loose all you need to do is tighten the bolts with an Allen Wrench, (my favorite tool, also a MTN bikers best friend most of the time). If that's not loose check the to see if the caliper is also loose, same thing applies. Also check to see if the hubs are loose as well.

Anyways, the humming come from the brakes is normal, I used to use a set of Hayes HFX Comp disc brakes and they would hum at high speed brake, not hard braking, so I would worry about the humming to much.
    Anything worth doing is worth overdoing...

-Ricko, mtbr member

My disc rotors use a torx bolt (t-25 on my avids) instead of an allen bolt, look first.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Riding dirt since 1970

Check the play in your hub bearings

They need adjustment every now and then. Manuals for most of your componants should be online. Learn to do it yourself, and you'll enjoy the sport even more
    Med. Nomad C for sale

mtbr member
    Yeah i use to have an Allen wrench before i lost it up at my cottage. So yeah i ws speaking to some people at school and they all said that it is normal for humming becuase the brake pads are new. Once they wear down a bit there will be less hummming. As for the rattlin noise im going to make sure and check that all the bolts on the discs connected to my wheel are tight. If they are, then i guess its all normal noise, which im not use to because i have never had disc brakes before.

Giant Anthem Rider

If rotor is true and touching the rear the alignment is off

Take it to your LBS and have the alignment checked with a tool like Magura's Gnann-o-mat Disc Optimizer . Not only do you need to have the caliper and disc centered laterally (inward and outward) but vertically aswell. I had my Fox 80RLT checked even though the disc was centered because my rotor was out of true for no reason. It turned out that only one of the tabs needed to be faced to get the caliper vertically centered.

It sounds like even though your caliper is spaced outward properly it may not be aligned with rotor (is crooked) and one of the two tabs needs to be faced.