Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Disco Brake Pads - Amazing!

Just installed a set of Semi Metalic Disco Brake Pads on my Titus El Guapo. I can't be happier. $25 shipped for 4 sets of pads off of ebay.

Fast shipping, well packaged.

Best part is these babies are SILENT. After a year+ on the stock Hayes pads that made rock grinding noises everywhere these are a god send. Fast break in. We'll see how well they wear but at that price and performance who cares.

http://www.discobrakes.com/

Vitamin Bike Added
    What's the word, how did these things wear?

Legend
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBCanuck
    What's the word, how did these things wear?
    You DO realize he posted 4 hours ago, right?

Vitamin Bike Added
    Haha, no I didn't- still a bit of a forum newb. I think I saw his membership date and assumed his post was from '08. I'll come back to this one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    i get the black ones,semi metalic, that are softer and they stop great,make no noise and if i keep the rotors clean and try to use the brakes more on smooth stretches of trail they last well. They suck when its wet though, maybe all pads are like this though. I found out the expensive way that ceramic suck. The sintered look interesting for wet and are probably worth an 8$ gamble

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Ceramic are crap if you're ever going to get them wet. I don't know who NEVER get's their Mt. Bike wet but they need to grow a set and throw away those ceramics.

They do last longer...if they don't kill you first.
    Last edited by pbbreath; 05-20-2011 at 11:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Extremely happy with the semi-metalics for the Juicy/Elixir brakes. On my rear Juicy brake originals lasted 2000km of trail riding. These from discobrakes have passed 1600km and still going.

Sintered weren't so great on my front SLX. Never got the bite, even after 30-40 stops during pad-in and 60km of trails.

mtbr member
    I just ordered a set on metal sintered.

I got my brakes in March and blew thew the stock pads on a wet, muddy race last week.

Any idea what the shipping time is from Disco?

ballbuster
    I got the organic pads for my Mono Minis once. I had no brake power, and they overheated like crazy all the time. Everything was set up correctly, and rotors and pads were sterile. I went back to Hope Stock sintered pads.

I might try the Disco Sintered pads next.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jonw9
    I got my brakes in March and blew thew the stock pads on a wet, muddy race last week.
    I got mine on ebay so I couldn't tell you if you bought them direct. Mine came in about 5 days.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I've got them on my trail bike using Magura Louise FR brakes and I agree that the sintered do work well and seem to be lasting well (going on six months of regular use in all kinds of conditions, snow/ice/wet/mud/dry).

They make abhorrent noise when wet though, but that could be specific to my brakes, my brake model, or the install on my bike. Sooo many variables.

But Maggie pads *never* made noise.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    I got the organic pads for my Mono Minis once. I had no brake power, and they overheated like crazy all the time. Everything was set up correctly, and rotors and pads were sterile. I went back to Hope Stock sintered pads.

I might try the Disco Sintered pads next.
    Me too, got some of their regular pads for my Formula B4 and they had very little grip.
    Also, the backing plates seem to fit very poorly, and tend to bind, so I had to file them quite a bit to free them up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonw9 View Post

The brakes arrived today, so delivery was about 5 days, standard USPS.

Installed with no issues. I have not ridden them all in order to provide an opinion.

mtbr member
    I have been using Disco Brakes semi metallics for over a year here in Oregon.I can usually get about 4 or 5 months of wet and muddy riding on a set.They perform great for me and the price is right!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I've been using the discobrakes ultralight pads for about a month and the performance is identical to the semi-metallic pads they replaced. Indeed the alu backing may be able to get rid of heat quicker than the normal steel backing.

mtbr member
    IMO,All disc brakes make the same noise when wet.Here in Oregon when a group of us are riding when its wet,we sound like a bunch of bull elk giving there mating call thru the woods! HA!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I do find it a bit strange when people say they have got through a set of pads in a single (but hard) race.. are they just unlucky or are some pad (brands and material wise) just really that bad..

I use a set of Ceramic pads from Brake Authority and I just do not see the issues others have had with ceramics - mine are set up on 203mm rotors with a Hope M6 upfront and M4 at rear and even in the sickest of conditions (and I must admit I hate getting wet) they are as sharp as I could wish for in the dry - so I am guessing that simplistically, not all pads are made equal, regardless of the material being used as I would not go back to organic or metaliic pads now.. mileage wise, I am guessing that I have got a good 2000 miles out of mine so far and they are still looking like new.. for me, they are worth the extra money though at first I had to be pushed to buy them.

mtbr member
    I did a ~10 mile jaunt through one of the local trails yesterday.

The brakes didn't seem to have the "bite" the OEM pads did. It was kind of like riding with anti-locks. I did bed them as I have done with other sets of pads. Finding a hill to repeat is kind of tough.

By the end of the ride they were stopping better, but not great.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by EFMax View Post
    I do find it a bit strange when people say they have got through a set of pads in a single (but hard) race.. are they just unlucky or are some pad (brands and material wise) just really that bad..

I use a set of Ceramic pads from Brake Authority and I just do not see the issues others have had with ceramics - mine are set up on 203mm rotors with a Hope M6 upfront and M4 at rear and even in the sickest of conditions (and I must admit I hate getting wet) they are as sharp as I could wish for in the dry - so I am guessing that simplistically, not all pads are made equal, regardless of the material being used as I would not go back to organic or metaliic pads now.. mileage wise, I am guessing that I have got a good 2000 miles out of mine so far and they are still looking like new.. for me, they are worth the extra money though at first I had to be pushed to buy them.

i dunno the ceramics i got from discobrakes were physically too fat to fit on my marta calipers. So i took off some material and they still didnt seem to have the stopping power of the semi or organic, but perhaps longevity is more their clame to fame

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by natrat View Post
    i dunno the ceramics i got from discobrakes were physically too fat to fit on my marta calipers. So i took off some material and they still didnt seem to have the stopping power of the semi or organic, but perhaps longevity is more their clame to fame
    Maybe.. to me 12 months hard use is good for me so any longer is always better.. I assume these pads are similar to high power sports car pads so I would expect better performance.. maybe I am lucky but my stopping distance on my set up has seriously improved and now I take risks in places where before I just was not willing to chance it.. different setups I guess.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by natrat View Post
    You do realize of course over the life of your pads the brake pistons slowly move towards the rotor to make for the thickness of your waining pads. Therefor when you get new ones you have to push the pistons back in displacing brake fluid.

I've seen some tight ones but I've never seen or heard of pads that just didn't fit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pbbreath View Post
    You do realize of course over the life of your pads the brake pistons slowly move towards the rotor to make for the thickness of your waining pads. Therefor when you get new ones you have to push the pistons back in displacing brake fluid.

I've seen some tight ones but I've never seen or heard of pads that just didn't fit.
    too much material combined with slightly thicker magura rotors

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    I've got them on my trail bike using Magura Louise FR brakes and I agree that the sintered do work well and seem to be lasting well (going on six months of regular use in all kinds of conditions, snow/ice/wet/mud/dry).

They make abhorrent noise when wet though, but that could be specific to my brakes, my brake model, or the install on my bike. Sooo many variables.

But Maggie pads *never* made noise.
    Read the bit from Magura down the bottom of Tech FAQ: Finding Pad Perfection

"From Magura: Magura does not use sintered or metallic pads only organic. Organic pads run cooler that the other pads. Using metallic or sintered pads will void the warranty of the brake and could cause them to overheat. Only use genuine Magura brake pads in Magura brakes."

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I've run the ceramic hard, C, and it worked ok. It was good for the $20 price. They did well in winter (rain, mud).

I've also run the S compound. They have a very faint squeak, but you have to listen for it. For $8, they are a great value.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Rear Pads are worn out front pads have about 70% left.

I think that's pretty fair to get 5 months of DH, AM & XC out of em and really I got 2 sets front and rear for $24 so I can afford $6 worth of rear brake pads a little more than twice a year.

Overall I do think they stop about 80% as well as the stock pads did which is fine for me because I have Stroker Ace 4 piston brakes.

I'd still suggest em.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast