Thread: DiscBrakes

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

DiscBrakes

I got a pretty light bike, its the Specialized rockhopper. I want to get some disc brakes for it probally hydros. I need some good light ones. Can't go too crazy on money. Any suggestions about which to buy or what company?

mtbr member
    i've heard good things about deore's. I have avid BB7's which are mechs and they work just fine and can flip me over the handlebars if i really pullyed them hard, so they have plenty of power. Only propblem is they are fairly heavy.
    i ride my bi*ch hard

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Second the avid bb7's. You can get some silly cheap prices on the net(as low as 35 bucks for 6 inch rotors)They have great stopping power and are very easy to adjust. I use them on a freeride bike, with 8 inch rotors, and they have better feel than alot of hydros that I have used in the past. I also use kool stop pads and that makes them feel even better. good luck.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Does anyone have any input on the lightest mechanical disc brakes out there?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    BB7 would be your best bet on mech disc brakes bar none, I recently upgrade to Juicy Carbon, they are slightly lighter and on power the only superior would be the amount of force to apply to the levers, IMHO, they do stop in a heartbeat and I like them a lot, but to be honest can't find just yet a superior comment to upgrade to hydros. modulation maybe, or less force need it to brake maybe

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Can I use any rotor w/ say w/ the BB7's or should I stick w/ the same rotor as the calipers?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Does anyone have any figures on what a mechanical set, including levers and everything would weigh comparable to a hydo set?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    And where do I find the adapters to make rotors fit my center locks?

Baby Bear is in the house

weights

Check out Weight Weenies:

disc brakes here

brake levers here

Quote Originally Posted by snoboarder77
    Does anyone have any figures on what a mechanical set, including levers and everything would weigh comparable to a hydo set?
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Baby Bear is in the house
    And where do I find the adapters to make rotors fit my center locks?
    DT Swiss makes 'em. Available at Speedgoat.

I'm sure there are others; just do a web search.
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

ride hard take risks
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

-> SickLines.com <-
    Hayes HFX'-Mag's are ok but they wouldn't be towards the end of my list, especially at $170ea

BB7's are pretty much your best best for mechanical brakes and are worth any penalty in weight over any other mechanical disc brake.

You can get shimano's for a lot let ~80-120 each, or Avid Juicy's 5s for $89 or 7's for ~120each side.

ride hard take risks
    As you know if you search you can always find deals on anything. BB7's are awesome for mechanical. The Shimano's i hear are good bang for the buck. Avid Jucy 5's you can have them i'll stick to what works for me Hayes HFX-Mag.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks for all the feedback! Found the Centerlock adapters, and will probably pay the hefty $35 price over at Speedgoat for DT's version... wouldn't want to buy some cheap ones that could fail.

So BB7's would be the best if I were to go Mechanical? Can anyone tell me, honestly, should I just bump it up to hydro or it really doesn't matter? Saving weight is my end goal. I was going to go up to Hydro w/ a shimano setup, probably xtr since I already have Center Lock hubs, but now that I've gotten feedback that the Centerlock system is heavier than the 6 bolt, I plan on running the adapters now.

I guess I'm just trying to feel out if paying $300-$400 for a hyrdo setup (Hopes Mini or Magura Marta SL) would be worth the extra cost over just buying the BB7's. If its a big weight difference, than it would be worth it.

I'm an avid user of Weight Weenies, its just they don't have the most up-to-date info listed. Especially when it comes to breaks!

ride hard take risks
    I was responding to the OP Mtbiker2.

Mtbiker2 are you related to mtb_biker.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    How come you like the Mags but you hate the 9's? They both have the same caliper and the guts are the same as the 9's (piston, seals, ...) The only real difference is in the reservoir.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDee
    The only real difference is in the reservoir.
    Makes all the difference in the world. I tryed to be cheap & bought the 9's & was very displeased with them for DH/AM/FR use. Had to replace the masters with the Mag's to get the feel i was familar with & liked. They are fine for XC/Trail use im sure. For my use i found the Mag, G2 & Galfer pads & rotors are awesome.
    Formotion Products

-> SickLines.com <-
    Thanks for all the feedback! Found the Centerlock adapters, and will probably pay the hefty $35 price over at Speedgoat for DT's version... wouldn't want to buy some cheap ones that could fail.

So BB7's would be the best if I were to go Mechanical? Can anyone tell me, honestly, should I just bump it up to hydro or it really doesn't matter? Saving weight is my end goal. I was going to go up to Hydro w/ a shimano setup, probably xtr since I already have Center Lock hubs, but now that I've gotten feedback that the Centerlock system is heavier than the 6 bolt, I plan on running the adapters now.

I guess I'm just trying to feel out if paying $300-$400 for a hyrdo setup (Hopes Mini or Magura Marta SL) would be worth the extra cost over just buying the BB7's. If its a big weight difference, than it would be worth it.

I'm an avid user of Weight Weenies, its just they don't have the most up-to-date info listed. Especially when it comes to breaks!
    Do you have a local bike shop or two? If its a good one, chances are they have bikes with mechanical disc brakes and hydro's. You can test ride a few bikes i'm sure to see the difference. They probably won't have any bikes with hope mono mini's but they should have some shimano, hayes, and avid discs you can try out.