mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Disc upgrade on an 04 Specialized Epic

I'm very seriously considering buying an 04 Specialized Epic leftover as my First FS bike....I wish I could afford the one with discs but it is definatley out of my price range...

My question is that how can I add discs in the future to this bike...It already has International Disc mounts on the Front Fork and on the rear. It has the Mavic X223 wheels and Shimano M-510, 32 hole, loose ball bearings rear hub and a Specialized Stout Front Hub....

I've looked at spec of other bike that have discs and that are disc ready and they have the Shimano M-525 Disc Hubs w/ Specialized Stout Disc Hubs...

What would be involved in adding discs?

Are there any adaptors I could add to the stock hubs to make them disc compatible??

Any help is much appriciated...

mtbr member
    If you want to add discs, then you will have to have disc hubs on your wheels. There are no adapters (at least that I know of) that you can purchase for stock non-disc hubs. Depending on what you want in terms of wheels and brakes, you will be spending at least another $300-$400 for everything to upgrade. Is it worth it to wait and upgrade, or can you spring for it now? That is the question you need to answer for yourself. It's usually cheaper to buy the bike with everything already included as opposed to buying separate components later and upgrading. The Epic Comps come with the Shimano Deore Hydro's (M-555's), my good friend has them, and they are very good stoppers from what I understand. If you can spring for it, get the Epic with discs. If you can't, maybe the LBS that you are getting it from can work something out for you about a later upgrade, or a custom upgrade at purchase time. Either way, if it works out financially, get the bike and ride it until you need to change the brakes or wheels, then upgrade. Hope this helps. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    OK, from what I undersatnd I will have to change the hubs to disc to accept the rotor....Can I keep the Mavic X223 wheels and just add Decore or XT Hubs?? I know it would look a little goofy with disc's and machined sidwalls, but would it work to save some money??

Another altereative would be to use only one disc??In this case would I want it ohn the fornt or rear.

mtbr member
    Actually, it is not that uncommon to go with one disc. If you were to go this route, you would want to put the disc on your front brake (most of your stopping power comes from the front).

You could keep the Mavic 223 and they should work OK. However with that said, disc specific rims are desinged for the stresses disc brakes apply and typically will hold up better (ie longer, stronger, ect..) I use disc specific rims, but I am pretty sure there are a lot of users on this board that run non disc rims with disc hubs.